1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smart Hitch Not working

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by brettz28, May 8, 2013.

1. brettz28

brettz28 Junior Member

Okay, so I am new to BOSS, have always other plows and this past fall bought my first BOSS because of everything I have heard. So it worked great all winter, the only issue was a blown hydraulic hose during a heavy snow.

I have not had it on the truck in 2 months or so, and it has been outside. I went yesterday to put all of my plows in the barn for summer storage and the BOSS would not hookup. I plugged it in and tried to use the switch to hook it up and got nothing. The lights all worked and I could hear the solenoid clicking, but the pump did not even attempt to start.

I tried changing relays, but that did not make a difference. It is the RT3 Straight blade on a Chevy pickup if that matters. It seems like it must be something simple I am missing, but I don't have enough familiarity with the BOSS to know the best place to start looking.

Any thoughts??

Thanks for the help!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Did you put the control in float?

3. brettz28

brettz28 Junior Member

Yes the control was in float. The solenoid did click like when I flip the toggle switch, but that was it....

4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

I'm betting on a bad ground. Check the main power cable quick connection and wiggle the 13 pin plug.

5. brettz28

brettz28 Junior Member

That is my suspicion as well. Quick question, I have heard of the main cable grounds going bad. Sound like a possibilty?

6. jhenderson9196

Yes, but clean the quick connect first. Also spread the male terminals a little for better contact in the main connection at the bumper.

7. JK-Plow

JK-Plow Senior Member

I had a similar problem and it was the solenoid. But I didn't have the clicking. I would check to make sure you are getting power through the solenoid.

8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

hey does it need be in float to hook it up of just to unhook

I had guy ask me I told him I don't have that smart hitch I told guy bring it by I look at it but He hasn't done that. I need to know the float thing So when he brings to me I'll know that step I'm doing right to start with I figure its a bad switch or bad ground.

9. srl28

srl28 Senior Member

Had the same exact problem last season, replaced the ground and power wiring and that was it. Wears out and gets corroded after a while.

10. jhenderson9196

As was said before: the control must be in float for the smart hitch to work.