1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smart Hitch II not working?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by AHBoss, Sep 11, 2009.

1. AHBoss

AHBoss Junior Member

Hey everybody new to the site and need some help it would be much appreciated. I Have a Boss 8'2 V Blade w Smarthitch II and i just installed it on my 99 F250 Super Duty any way when i got to hook up to it i put it in float mode and push the smarthitch button i just hear one click and nothin happens and it also comes out of float mode. and when i push any other buttons it does not click or nothin but if i unhook all the electrical connections from the plow and push buttons on remote i hear clicking everytime i push the button. so i could really use any ideas on whats causing this to not work thanks

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

switch

check all wire's on the smart hitch valve coil and switch if they feel loose snug them up by giving them a small squeeze with some pliers .use some dielectric grease on the connection's .

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Check the power connection. My plow did the same thing as yours until I got fed up with it. I ended up replacing the OEM connectors with Anderson connectors.

*The photo is courtesy of Jerre

Anderson wire connection kit 001.jpg

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Camden is on the mark (experience will do that). You have a poor connection on the power cables either power or ground somewhere between the battery and the plow motor. Could also be a bad under hood solenoid. Both easy fixes.

5. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Camden.......where can I get that kit and how much is it?

6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You can buy that set from Jerre's Service (814) 898-2171

7. AHBoss

AHBoss Junior Member

Thanks everybody I will check those connections today. If its is the selenoid how do i tell it is bad? And wheres the best place to get one if thats the case? Also where can a pick up some of those anderson cables? Thanks

8. AHBoss

AHBoss Junior Member

hey guys I tried cleanin up those cables and still nothin i put the plow up manually and it wont lift or do anything just clicks at the selenoid. I took a tester and had someone push buttons on remote and i put a tester on the selenoid and with the power cables to the plow unhooked power was goin through selenoid to wire goin out to bumber. But with power cables hooked to plow there is no power goin through selenoid or down to the pump. Does the mean the selenoid is bad or still bad connection somewhere that i missed??? Thanks

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Connect the power cable back up to the plow, then jump the two large terminals on the under hood solenoid with a screwdriver for a brief second. If you hear the pump motor run then you have either a bad solenoid or the ground to it is weak or non existent.You do have the small brown wire in the plow harness connected to the neg battery terminal correct?

10. AHBoss

AHBoss Junior Member

well not really sure what i did but its working now i just messed with the wiring so not reall sure must been bad connection. But I think i will still change to the anderson ones that were mentioned earlier. now is there a place to order them online or do i need to call that jerri that was mentioned before. Also i just got the plow and its one year old and the guy that had it before me only used it one winter but than left it outside. Is there any greasing of the hinge i should do or any other maitnence tips would be much appreciated and should i change the fluid or anything thank you very much new to plows and all is very helpful thank you Adam

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Grease the center pin

12. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

and change the fluid before the season starts.

13. AHBoss

AHBoss Junior Member

k i will prob be getting fluid changed sometime this week and adjusting the drop speed cause it seems to drop really fast is there anything i need to know when changing fluid? Thanks to all for hleping me get this plow ready for the snow.

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Fast drop= no snow on it and it keeps you awake.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can source the 175 AMP Anderson connectors at your local NAPA store and make the cables up yourself.

16. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Not only that but when your guillotine breaks you can use your plow as a backup. :D

17. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Use 2 gauge wire (also available at NAPA)

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Now where did you learn that from? :D

19. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

i was going to do the same thing. i have enough slack with the cables already there can i just use them

20. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Some guy who went by the name Norway Plow :p :D