1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

smart hitch 2

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by northwoods, Nov 12, 2008.

1. northwoods

northwoods Junior Member

I put a new motor on my plow and now I am having problems raising the tower. When i try to raise the tower the motor is getting power and I can see the hydrolic line jump. If I toggle up and down really fast with the switch I can get it to work. Could this be a check valve problem or a solenoid problem ??

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

i am thinking the smart hitch valve if not the switch !

3. northwoods

northwoods Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if I can just take that valve off and look at it to see if their is anything wrong with it? If I do take it off do I have to bleed the valve manifold or will it fill up when I put fluid in the resivor ?

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

you should not have to bleed it i don't know about testing ,blow the valve out good .i know i used to test meyer valve with the coil on them ground the valve and put 12 to the valve coil ,to see if it opened . pretty shure 1 spade on the coil is ground and one is hot might be a better question for b&b though !

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did it work fine before you changed the motor? if so then you likely missed the small ground wire that grounds the valves on the valve block. Should have been attached to the same terminal as the motor ground cable.

If it is on there, then check to be sure you didn't knock any of the connections off the valves or switch.

6. northwoods

northwoods Junior Member

Thanks for the info.It worked fine before I changed the motor. I still dont know what the problem was. I changed fluid in it today and everything works fine.I will double check the connections. With my luck , its a gremlin that will come back when it starts to snow !!!

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's now working, it's likely one of the wire terminals on the coils or SH switch has a poor connection.

Remove each wire terminal from each of the pins on each of the coils and SH switch pins and give them a slight squeeze with pliers in order to tighten them up as they will lose connection at times....unusually once you disturb them while doing other work in the pump enclosure. A little dielectric grease or Fluid Film is a wise PM as well while your in there.

8. northwoods

northwoods Junior Member

I will do that. thanks again for the help.