1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smart Hitch 2 question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by luke_willy84, Jan 26, 2009.

1. luke_willy84

luke_willy84 Member

I have an 04 8'2'' poly V, when I try to hook the plow up the smart hitch switch isn't working, and yes the controller is in float. I added hydraulic fluid to it and that didn't help. I can get the plow on by manually pushing the tower on and once its on the plow works fine and if I hit the smart hitch switch with the tower hooked up the switch works. I looked through previous threads, but couldn't come up with exactly what may be the issue, coil, switch itself, some sort of valve. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Offroadz71

Offroadz71 Member

I have had the same problem, although not as frequent. I tried to look into last year at the shop I purchased from. They couldn't figure it out either. I personally think it is something that is defective. But it really isn't that much of a bother right now. I plan on talking to Boss when time permits. It must be something with the wiring. I will have to get a volt meter on it when it does happen, but I will waste to much time trying to figure that out. I will reply later when I get something on this.

3. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

I have an '05, no problems, yet. Check connections, good contact,dirt, corrosion, etc.. Possible tower switch malfunction? Also, wiring harness connections. Simple stuff first.

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

smart hitch

the older smart hitch switches had problems they were not sealed and salt and moister would get in,they came out with a sealed switch . msc01889
    MSC04744
    TOGGLE SWITCH KIT,SMARTHITCH2

5. luke_willy84

luke_willy84 Member

How can I tell if my switch is the enclosed switch or the older style switch?

6. wild bill

switch

here is a couple pic's

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

7. luke_willy84

luke_willy84 Member

Thanks for the help, I played with some of the wires under there and it started functioning properly. Nothing was rusted or corroded, I don't know if one of the wires was just loose enough to cause something weird like that or what, but whatever the case its working now.

8. wild bill

wire's

some time's take a pair of pliers and squeeze to snug up the spade connector and use some dielectric grease on the connections ,keeps the flash corrosion of the surface that's hard to see .

9. luke_willy84

luke_willy84 Member

Alright, smart hitch switch isn't working all together. the switch gets power when a tester is hooked to it, as do the 2 solenoids that it runs to. The solenoids just click when you press the smart hitch. We hooked a jumper wire up directly to the battery and then onto the solenoid under the hood and the smart hitch functioned. I wiggled the connection between the truck and plow around and it would occasionally work, almost acts like the connection isn't good or something. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing the solenoid for the smart hitch is probably bad. Does this sound correct to anyone else.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  10. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

I assume the 2 solenoids you are refering to are a group of them, 4 in line. If so they are called relays. Do you have any spare relays, as in the emergency kit? Replace and see what happens. You say they are clicking,which would indicate to me that they should be working. But then again......... Also would investigate the molded male/female plug ins(connectors) between plow and truck. Have seen this before on someone elses truck where they had to be wiggled/pushed together to allow the tower toggle switch to work.Corrosion,bad wire, bad pin connection? The only wire I see on my plow that runs from tower toggle switch into wiring loom is white w/black tracer. Maybe run a jumper from plow side to truck side? These are things I would do if this were to happen to me. I am assuming the tower toggle switch is OK as previously discussedin this thread.

11. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Also check the amount of dielectric grease in the 13 pin connectors as too much will cause the pins to lose connection, otherwise clean all pins with electric cleaner to ensure good contact.

12. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Didn't know you could use too much dielectric grease.

13. luke_willy84

luke_willy84 Member

Yes the solenoid I was referring to was the relays, and no I don't have a spare relay, but I may buy one just to see what happens. I spread the connectors on the molded connectors and that didn't help. If you wiggle those connectors and get it just right it would work occasionally, but not at all now. I have no idea what to look for if the relay isn't the answer. Could the actual molded plug itself be faulty? Mine has a lot of dielectric grease in it, is too much of that really bad?

14. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

The molded plug could be faulty. They look pretty well made to me. I would try what Deckscapes said, clean the grease from the connection areas. I use brake clean in an aerosol can. See what happens.

15. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

If I am understanding right, after you get the plow hooked up you hit the switch and it works? That sounds like a bad ground, when you get it hooked up its grounding through the plow frame.

16. luke_willy84

luke_willy84 Member

I cleaned the dielectric grease out of the plug and still nothing. The smart hitch doesn't work whether its hooked up or unhooked now. Flip the switch and I hear a click in the relay. Yesterday if I messed with the molded connections it would work once in a while, but nothing now. Yesterday we had power clear out to the relays but it didn't work. The plow itself works fine, just the smart hitch wont' function. Today, I hooked a test light to it and couldn't find power coming out of the switch or obviously at the relays. I have no clue...maybe just change the switch and relay and see what happens??

17. luke_willy84

luke_willy84 Member

Well I figured the problem after reading through other posts about similar problems. I have a joystick and a handheld so I just went out and hooked up the joystick, flipped the smart hitch switch and it worked just fine. I then plugged the handheld back in and nothing. So apparently the handheld isn't working properly.

18. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

That was a head scratcher,alright. Glad you got it figured out.

19. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

Don't you just love this Forum???

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Only way that is possible is if the float function isn't working correclty as thats how the SH switch gets its power. From the activated (via float) lift and lower coils...