1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smart Hitch 2 Problem

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by RamDude01, Dec 17, 2009.

1. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

Hey everyone. I've been having a little problem with unmounting my plow, 8' SD probably 4-5 years old. When I try to power down the tower the motor seems to run but it does not power down the tower. If I let it, it will slowly move down by itself or you can manually pull it down, but I usually keep the button pushed as this is what I've read in other threads to keep air out of the system... could it be the switch itself is going bad?

Also, sometimes when I go to hitch it up I push the button up and the motor will run but it does not move. Pushing the button down for a second and then back up it works just fine. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your input and help!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does the plow work perfectly when it's actually on the truck?

3. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

Yes, no problems at all. Last season when it was really cold out it was extremely sloooow... I changed the fluid and that took care of that. I think the previous owner put tranny fluid in it. But yes, once it is hooked up it works just fine.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your tower raising issue is likely the SH toggle dying but that won't affect the action of powering it down. Since for it to power down all it has to do is run the motor with the controller in the float position, which it does. Sounds more like there's too much tension between the truck and plow while you're attempting to detach. A dab of grease on the receiver hooks helps too.

5. tar

tar Junior Member

I also have the same problem with one of mine. I have to toggle the sh switch really fast, sometimes six or seven tries to get the tower to jump forward and unlock then it will power down.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your issue may be a bit different in that yours could be a mechanical issue. Dry pins, broken pin retract spring, plow or truck off camber, or a miss adjusted mount.

7. tar

tar Junior Member

it could be different, ill give you the whole story;
    i drive in to the plow float on, make electrical connections, turn levers to on, toggle up and the motor sounds like its stalled out, like when you pick the plow up and keep the up button on, sometimes i get a spark at the coupler bottom between the saddles or the cradle or hook or whatever its called. if i toggle up and down fast with the switch,the motor will start and raise the tower up.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty sure sparks at the frame means your ground connection is bad.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Needs either the switch replaced (usually the case) or the connections on it as well as the leads from it to the smart hitch coil cleaned/tightened. Easy fix.

Sparking at the mount is a poor ground connection between the plow and truck through the power cables as the Dog Napper already mentioned. Needs a good clean and tightening there too.

10. tar

tar Junior Member

i figured id probably need a switch, all the connections/wires to the switch are good ive used dielectric grease on them when i serviced it in oct.

thanks to all
    troy

11. lordgodlovesu

lordgodlovesu Junior Member

plow problem

Have you checked the Hydrolicks?

12. tar

tar Junior Member

B&B, pinpointed the electrical side of this for me, maybe hell chime in and discuss hydraulics with you and ill read the conversation.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with the hydro's, it's an electrical issue. :waving:

14. tar

tar Junior Member

i figured youd say that, thats why i thought id let you guys talk hydraulics
    :laughing: