1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smallest Truck for residential?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by columbiaplower, Jan 23, 2001.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

Currently i have a 94 F-250 with a 8ft fisher and a 2 stage fisher spreader. I do both short and long res. and a fair amount of lots. I want to add a second truck that could perform both these tasks. I ve been leaning twards a 2000 or 2001 F250. What do u think? What type of plow/spreader would u reccomend? ANyone with this truck- what is ur setup and what do u think?

Thanks, Nick
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Get an F 350 Pick up, cost about 1K more than an F 250.

Gives you a better plow truck, with the same turning radius, and size. Allows you to haul a v-box spreader better than an F 250.

3. columbiaplower

dule wheels? and what kind of plow/v-box? will duleys let me put a bigger plow on it?
  4. GeoffD

not all F 350 pick ups have DRWs. They come standard with SRW, having DRW will allow for a bigger V-box. However you should be fine with a 1.5 yard model V-box as long as ya don't overload it too bad. You can have a 9' straight blade or an 8.5' v-plow on an F 350.

If it was me I would go with SWR no reason to make the truck any wider than needed.

5. columbiaplower

this will be ok for small drives?
  6. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Do the dual wheels increase the turning radius or is it about the same. I always kind of thought that it would make it harder to turn in a small space.

Happy plowing

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

It may be time to try and split up your work, into two routes, one commercial and one residential. Then you can use your 250 on either one.

For your new truck-

If you wanted to add more commercial, then buy a 350.

If you would rather expand into res., then maybe an older half ton short box with a 7'6 V might be a cheaper alternative, and would be a joy to use in small drives.
  8. boba

boba Senior Member

I run a 2000 F350 srw regular cab, PSD with automatic, fisher 8.5 ezv. I plow second homes with driveways from 10' to a mile long. This truck is easy to turn, pushes great and the v plow, to me, is the only way to go. On this truck a use a tailgate sander when needed. On my other acounts I use 1999 F350 dump,PSD with 6spd, Boss 9.2 V plow and 2 yard sander. No way can I easily do the same work with the second truck.
  9. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member

It really depends upon what you will be plowing.
    The last company I worked for did its residentials with 1 ton dumps with 9ft blades and a v-box.
    If you could turn it around in an average residential in less than a 5 point turn you were doing ok.
    I liked that plow route a lot better when I had the 3/4 ton p/u.
    But I'd rather do the commercial accounts with the F350.
    just my opinion though.
  10. martyman

martyman Senior Member

Try a Jeep

If your not going to do commercial at all you could use a Jeep like me. I've used my Jeep now for two seasons averaging 40 homes (12 three car garage with circles)without any problems. I would go for a six cylinder next time.. I use a 6.5 western plow that works great. Jeep turns on a dime and visability is excellent. There is a ton of Jeep sites and parts a plentiful.

11. columbiaplower

nice idea on the jeep but I do parking lots as well. The idea of spliting the route is good but i have 3 lots within 1 mile of 12 driveways so this would not save time. What im trying to find is a good medium- a truck that can do both res. and commercial. This is why am going twards another f250 it can do both well.
  12. GeoffD

Like I said get an F 350 SRW pick up. It will go every place a 250 will go. Only it will give you a better payload, so ya can carry a v-box better. Cost about 1000 dollars more.

13. columbiaplower

its between the 2. its 2500 more but not that big a deal.as i look at the spec I see where your coming from geoff
  14. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

F350 SRW. would be the way to go. Remeber this to that you F-250 is a 133" wheel base and then new Super Duty series srw has a wheel base of 137". So this in turn in creases your turning radius.
    Both of new F250 & 350 SRW's come with a Dana 50 front axle. The F350 DRW comes with a Dana 60 front axle the that has a higher weight rating. Also You want to have The X code front springs from a F450-550 so you dont get much front end sag.
    Now I am running 2 SD's a 99 F350 drw and a F550 drw they both have 141" wheelbase. For some unknown reason the 550 seem to turn tighter than the 350.
    Also the weight ratings on the Srw 350's are 9900lbs I do not know what they light weight out at. So if weight is one of your concerns it is some thing to look into.
    I like Boss plows and Tarco V box sanders.

Just my 2 cents.
  15. brandy

brandy Junior Member

I do commercials with the jeep!!!

It plows everything!!!!