1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smaller pulley on hydraulic plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gcsupraman, Aug 5, 2004.

1. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

Does anybody have any experience putting a smaller pulley on their hydraulic plow pump to make it go faster?

Right now I have a four inch pulley on the crank and a four inch pulley on the pump (1-1). I can get a 3 inch pulley for the pump - but don't want to burn out the pump.

I have been told that by using AMS oil synthetic fluid in the pump it will function almost as fast as when you first start the truck and the fluid is still cold. Has anybody done this?

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

I had a similar experience with my Monarch units. I changed the 4 inch pulley to a two inch, and it really didnt matter at all. The pump ran much faster, and It never caused a problem.
  3. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Most hydraulic pumps have a pressure regulator to dump excess pressure back into the holding tank.
    I'm not familiar with your setup, but I think that if you spin your pump faster, then the regulator will just dump that pressure faster, and you will see no improvement.
    If your hydraulics are slow at 1,000 RPM's, but they are faster at 2000 RPM's, then maybe you will see some improvement with a smaller pulley.
  4. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

The only time the slow speed is an issue is at idle - otherwise it is fast enough. For example if I am coating down hill and then trying to lift right at the end it is very slow.

I assume this is pretty typical with a fisher hydraulic setup.