1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smaller plow advice please. For a Jeep Wranlger

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by bluejeep, Feb 6, 2006.

1. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

Right now I have a 93 jeep wrangler with a snowbear plow. I got my set up pretty cheap and I enjoyed plowing so I want to upgrade. I don’t want a truck and I would like to keep on plowing with a newer wrangler. I only plow driveways. The most enjoying thing I experience with my snowbear is the fact when you back drag the plow doesn’t get all the snow on the ground. Or if there is a lot of snow and I am about to back drag, the plow doesn’t even go all the way to the pavement.

Now that I am getting a new wrangler I want a plow that would not have this problem, I know that the snow way plows have down pressure option. But it doesn’t tell you how much pressure it puts out. Do other smaller plows have this problem?

2. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Snoway blades are poly, making them nice and light for trucks like your jeep, and from what I have heard, the down pressure works great as does the wireless controler. The problem is they are fairly expensive, dealers are few and far between and local auto parts stores usualy only carry fisher/western/meyer parts. Also, used snoway's are very rare. A good steel blade such as a fisher/meyer/western goes good a jeep, a little heavy but with timbren load boosters, your all good. I personaly have a western 6.5 S/U, which I like because the full blade trips unlike the fisher which has a trip edge. Good luck!

Ivan

3. mikeeg

mikeeg Member

Small plow

I have a Ranger 04 with a Western 6'8" MM it has a lock down and also a float on it. I back drag with it locked down an it does a very good job.This is a lite weight plow (poly)and it takes about 3 minutes to hook up.

4. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

I have a snow way dealer right near me. And your right they are expensive (4000 form dealer installed) and impossible to find used. But I m not really sure on what you said on the trips, I don’t know what that is. I just hate the fact when I reverse with the blade down it just floats over the snow. I have to get out and shovel the left over.

5. bluejeep

bluejeep Member
    from IL

Can you explain how the lock down works?

6. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

When you hit something, such as a manhole cover, curb or frozen rock, the blade (on a western) or the cutting/trip edge (fisher) folds over, saving your blade, plow frame and truck frame from massive damage. The western suburbanite, which is what mikeeg has and the fisher homesteader both seem like decent set ups, but seem kind of pricy for a homeowner type rig. The western s/u's blade is a little bit cheaped down, but has the same pump setup as it's big brothers, as does the fisher ld 6'8", and these two plows are readily avalable on the used marke. Plus you can get parts any were for them.
    Just my 2 cents
    Ivan

7. mikeeg

mikeeg Member

Lite weight trucks and suv

The Western Sub. more or less locks down with the lift cyl.I was very surprised how well it back drags.I have not plow snow for alot of yrs. and this plow is so easy to use. My Ranger has a 3" lift on it so you can't see the plow just your end plow poles but I just keep an eye on them and go to work.The truck and plow are a real work horse. :)

8. addicted

addicted Senior Member

I have a snow way 22 series on my TJ. it is very comperable in price to all the others. $4k or so out the door. If you are concerned about backdragging and have a jeep, than the sno way is the only viable option. It is lightewight and backdraggs like a 500lb plow with the down pressure. Compared to thh western on my cj it is a godsend.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=32244

This might help.