1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

smaller hopper spreader or larger tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by wondo, Dec 27, 2013.

1. wondo

wondo Senior Member

I've worked my snowex mini pro 575 hard over the past few years and I've got my moneys worth. However, after having to hand salt a lot for the second time I think it is time to retire it. I run 1000-1400# of bulk/storm so I don't really think I have the need for a larger v-box plus I have residentials and tight lots so the obstructed visibility would be a trade off. I also have my toolbox in the bed loaded down pretty well I don't want to move it all in the cab

Here are the options I'm thinking:
    -Option one: Smaller electric in box spreader where my options are looking like snowex 3000 or saltdogg's 3/4 ton SHPE0750. I like these options because I should be able to load up once and not have to worry about loading a bunch of 20 gal bins to re load the tailgate salter. I can also pull off the spinner and leave the salter in the truck between storms. At least with the snowex I don't think I will lose any visibility either. However, I wonder if this will be like an equipment trailer or shop and wish I bought bigger.

-Option two: Larger tailgate spreader probably either a snowex 1875 or saltdogg TGS07. Either will have more capacity and seem like they are more meant for the bulk salt I run than my little mini pro 575 and they are cheaper than the box options. These seem like they would not be a one man job to take on and off and I don't want to get in the habit of keeping a tailgate spreader on between storms.

Who else has made the decision for style or the other. Also any reasons for one brand over the other. I do like how little metal is on the saltdoggs to rust out.
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Its really what's going to work best for you and your properties.

I will say stay away from saltdogg though..... Piece of sh!t!!!
  3. P.L.

P.L. Member
    from usa

Air flow mss tailgate spreader
  4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I owned V box from day one since 1981 This year at a sale I bought a 1 year old hitch spreader I put on a 2nd truck Its a Western 2500 holds 600lbs of salt. My son likes it He can see backing up un like my V box There big blind spot behind me
    V box holds more but I have drive back to shop to refill it. My son can refill the hitch spreader out in the field. Since he knows what his route takes its pre loaded.
  5. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Here is another thing to think about..... I was in the same boat as u..... Started with snowex 575..... Hated having to get out and load it so often (I do right at 3500lbs bagged per storm)............ I do a lot of banks, mcds, pizza hut,small strip malls etc...... I decided to go to a snowex 1075...... Even just going to that little bit bigger spreader I HATED IT! It was used a few times and now I'm back to my 575 snowex ....... I can also put the 575 on by myself very easily and with the bigger I need help. It def depends on the person but I'll load twice as many times to gain visibility any day in my situation.......two years ago my truck broke midway through the night.... Had a friend with a vbox come help me out.... He hated his life in those little lots but he does bigger Stuff so didn't matter on his stuff....
  6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

brand is whatever you can get the best service and parts for.
  7. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

I've used my snowex 8500 to put down bulk salt… i like the big spreader and i run dump beds so it doesn't really hurt visibility, I'm used to using my mirrors for everything. i just put a mini pro 575 on my other truck to do bag salt and i like it, but i forget its there and have already backed into a couple snow banks with it.
  8. wondo

wondo Senior Member

Little update- I had been planning to buy new but I found a snowex vee pro 8000 on craigslist that seems to be well taken care of for a great price and jumped on it. Going to wire it in tomorrow and either fab some brackets to bolt it in or bolt some better strap points as I only have a couple now.
  9. TPCLandscaping

TPCLandscaping Senior Member

nice i have mine strapped in at 4 points with just tie downs.