1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small vehicle help

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Kajun, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Kajun

Kajun Junior Member

What is a good small truck...reliable and not real expensive.

**Where I work at they also do snow removal in the winter. The boss said if I got a small vehicle he would put a new plow on it for me(No cost to me). They have a bunch of large trucks but could use a smaller truck for certain stuff. (He has a new boss poly? snow plow in the back..I guess that is the one he is talking about for a small type of truck)

I will be driving the vehicle as well so it's not just a work vehicle.
    any advice?

I searched and I think it got me more confused...
    Some say jeep w/ auto...some Jeep manual trans and then the coil vs leaf stuff
    S10
    Tacoma (Seems to be none thats not rusted out or a million miles)
    Blazer
    Dakota

There is a nice Durango down the street that a mom drives the kids around in for sale kinda cheap...4x4 v8.... Never seen a Durango plow snow though

Seems like a win for me to get a free plow out of it unless he is going to have some fine print to go with it lol.
    advice please.

2. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

There is a guy on here who has a Colorado, looks like a good setup.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I would have him foot the bill for the truck and plow. Then pay you OT if it needs to be plowed out. To much insurance headache for you if something happens.

4. Kajun

Kajun Junior Member

So, the insurance would outweigh the increased pay? 6x normal pay is kinda seductive...But I guess I am not thinking of insurance, gas and upkeep....

Should find out if he gets a vehicle and I plow for em wheat I would make..

5. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

If you decide to get one for yourself, I highly suggest Jeep Cherokees: great visibility, good power, super reliable, good auto trans, solid front axle, awesome turning radius, cheap and easy to find, plentiful parts...

6. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, Works great, and tough! with auto, stick is to much going on, been there done that

7. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

not to confuse u but here are my observations
    i plowed with a s10 4x4 for a season pushed well nothing broke handled 7'6" well. and they are cheep but really any well maintained 4x4 would do fine for you so your preference. but it occurs to me that if your boss already has a plow purchased then find out what his mount matches up too and go with that as other wise he will have to purchase a mounting system or modify the one he has.

8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I would never buy a truck and let someone else put a plow on it to use for them. Here is the reasons. 1) you are liable for the places you plow, slip and falls, damage ect. That means you will have to carry insurance for your protection. 2) you will be resposible for keeping your truck in perfect working order. That means anything that will keep you from plowing for your boss has to be fixed right, and quickly. 3) What are the buy out terms. What I mean by that is I am sure he expects you to plow for him for X number of years to basically pay off the plow that he is putting on your truck. 4) This one is the biggest reason. Why would you plow for him at a reduced rate when you can just spend an extra thousand or so dollars, and get you own accounts and not let your boss make all the money. I guess I have always been a self starter, and if an oppertunity presents it's self then I look at all possibilities, and usually take the way that benifits me, more than anyone else. Good Luck however you choose to do things, and make sure you carry enough insurance.

9. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

You forgot one thing, Cherokees are UNIBODY meaning no solid steel frame to mount a plow to. I have seen it done, but dont think its the best idea.
    I thought my Jimmy did fine with a blade, other than they eat up ball joints (with or with out the plow) that was a good plow truck for me