1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small V-box in full size truck?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Smitty58, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I saw a small snowex V box in a 8 ft bed here a few days ago. Ive been thinking about getting a V but have always done bagged salt and don't have anywhereto store bulk. My question is do some use smaller v boxes and if so do you still use bulk or bags? I can see benefits in a smaller V.

2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

Even if you get a small snowex like a sp6000 (1yard capacity) thats an overall length of about 6.5 feet which sticking out gives you probably 3 feet of bed space in front. Thats not a lot of room to store bags of salt. Plus 1 yard of salt weighs around 2000lbs. So everytime you fill up that spreader your going to need basically a whole pallet of salt (you can heap it a little bit) I dont know how much salt you use per storm, but to me personally if you get a vbox, id start running bulk. If you not using a lot, maybe see if a local company is willing to pick up a small load of salt and deliver it for you to someplace you can store it, or look around for places that allow during storm pick up instead.