1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small Two-Stage Snow Blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CarlosT, Oct 2, 2003.

1. CarlosT

CarlosT Junior Member
    from PA

I'm a newbie and my son wants to start a little neighborhood business doing sidewalks, driveways, etc. I'm intrigued by single stage Toros but I'm also considering some of the relatively smaller (lighter) two-stage blowers. My choices so far:

Ariens 724 - At $869 with a 7HP OHV Tecumseh it's a decent value and supposedly a decent machine.

Simplicity 860EI - $999 with an 8HP Briggs & Stratton. Supposedly a heavier duty machine. The Briggs is new this year for Simplicity.

Snapper I7244 - Don't know the price but it comes with a 7HP OHV Tecumseh similar to the Ariens. Snapper is now owned by Simplicity.

Toro 726E - This is kinda a weird bird and new for Toro...a two-stage Toro powered by a 7HP R-Tek motor. Is a 2-cycle motor really up for handling a two-stage thrower? Some of the equipment folks think that this is just a novelty thing 'cause Toro wants to sell more R-Tek motors. $899

Your input's appreciated.

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I wouldn't use a single stage myself, the ones I've used had a tendency to clog easier than the 2 stage, also my dad bought a 24" 10 HP MTD from Sam's Club a couple years ago for like 700 bucks.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you want to get started cheap,then an MTD,or one of their spin off brands is the way to go.Take care of it and it will do OK.

The bigger units like Ariens,Toro,Honda,Bolens,etc will do a better job,and last longer,but are a lot more expensive.

If you don't get a lot of bigger heavier snows,then I would go with a smaller single stage.It will be faster,lighter,and more productive than a two stage in light snowfalls.If you do need a bigger machine for the odd heavy snows,buy a larger second hand unit for backup.

4. CarlosT

CarlosT Junior Member
    from PA

Around my house we have a lot of front walkways that have one or two steps due to the lawn's grade. Can one safely "hop over" these steps with a single-stage? I know that this is prolly outta the question with a two-stage machine even a compact one. These steps are the biggest obstacles (no pun intended) to using a snowblower around here.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

The smaller two stages are light enough to easily get up the steps.You still may need a shovel to get them completely clean.

6. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

I would spend the extra & buy Ariens, I have two a single stage 5hp, new last season thing is an animal for a single stage. I also have a 524, two stage also works great, I don't thinks its avalable any more (now 724). We have a craftsman & a toro, both older, both junk.

7. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

What about a good used blower? They should be much cheaper on your budget, Just remember " the less you spend now the more your son will make!"