1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small Timer Spreader/advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BeastMaster, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Here's a few tips for small timers like me:

For really small areas, I use a Scotts grass seed spreader (I call it a monkey grinder or organ grinder) that I spread calcium pellets with.

For larger areas I use my walk behind grass seed/fertilizer spreader I got from Lesco. It throws material in an 8' swath. Two passes on a driveway is all I need w/ it.
    This is a professional model built for the lawn care people. It's plastic tub and ALL metal parts are stainless steel. It sits high on inflated tires, pushes easily and is a good way to spread salt, calcium etc. when you can't afford or don't have an auger or tailgate mounted spreader.

I plow with an ATV w/ a 5' Moose Plow. When I'm done, I make a few passes with the Lesco spreader and I'm good to go.

The spreader at Lesco (www.lesco.com) is about $300 though...it's a professional model, but adjustable in everyway and worth the money (I dabble in lawn care too).

I'm thinking next year I graduate to a 1 ton truck w/ a real blade and spreader. We only get 1-2 plowable snows a season here but my list of clients keeps growing.

Seems like we need 4" or more, or the people aren't interested in plow service. Get 6" or more and you have no problem getting clients.

Small drives start at $25 (retired people etc)...average last week was $38.50 per stop. I think a $30 minimum for all but the smallest driveways would be a good starting point for most small timers. I do them from $25 to just over $60 with my Yamaha Kodiak, so I am making about what the big boys make here with full size trucks, but it DOES take me longer to clear a lot/drive.

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

time=money though.....

however, i think it is great how you have all the numbers figured out and that is essential in proper planning for growth in the future.