1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small Time Residential Business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by michics, Feb 27, 2011.

1. michics

michics Junior Member

I'm soon retiring from my full time gig and am looking at residential mowing and snow removal options. I live in a subdivision consisting of many retired or will be retired in next few years. Also have another large subdivision just across the road.
    So here's my idea. I have option to pickup a low hour commercial Kubota front mount unit with rotary broom, 2 stage blower, and heated cab. I'm thinking I could use this unit to do
    driveway snow removal in my area without having to trailer. Maybe less than 6" snows use the broom, 7" and above use the blower. May have to do some sidewalks as well. With 60" broom and 54" blower , 3 - 4 passes will clear a driveway and not have piles of snow sitting around as happens with a truck.

Can this work or I'm I all wet ?

thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What size towel do you need?

3. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

:laughing::laughing:

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Thats helpfull.

Ya that was me saying that:p

5. michics

michics Junior Member

Can you explain the problem with this approach ?

6. Omran

Omran Senior Member
    from KY

I don't see why it will not work.

7. grandview

OK. You pull up to a driveway with your broom. There's a car in the way ,are you going to blow snow on the car? Or are you going to do part of it with a snowblower? So how much time will you spend a drive and what would you charge? Also if no car is in the way when you get close to the garage door then what blow it on the door .And 6 inches of snow is alot to broom.

8. snobgone

snobgone Senior Member
    from CT

Should work, lots of ppl use tractors and blowers. A plow might be a good option rather than the broom. Brooms will work well on pavers and light snow but as someone mentioned it is hard to direct the snow. What model Kubota? What is your back up?

9. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Don't plan on broomin' 6 inches

10. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I don't know much about brooms except years ago we had snow during football playoffs and they brought in a broom for the field. The long and short of it is the broom left snow behind but it was packed snow and they scrapped the broom and plowed it with trucks. We got all new grass the next season.

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

have you checked on insurance?

12. michics

michics Junior Member

Some very valid points have been pointed out. It sounds like the broom idea is not very good. A blade could be mounted on the same Kubota F2560 or similar unit.

One point raised that I have to question is what to do if there's vehicle in the drive.
    What do you do when your plowing the drive with your truck ? As far a the blowing goes ,obviously you don't blow onto someone's car. Even when you plow with a truck do you not get out and shovel away from the garage door ? I would think that is part of the service being offered ?

Thanks to all for your response's.

13. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

I certainly hope this is a retirement job for you

14. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I backdrag away from garages and things when I can and depending on how they pay, I'll break out the shovel and go to work. I never get too close to cars in order to avoid being blamed for scratches and dents. What I'm willing to do really depends on what they want to pay for. Some just want the driveway plowed, some want sidewalks shoveled...it varies. A bucket on that tractor will give you great versitility, I'd look at going that route.

15. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

if you staying in the neightborhood, not to far maybe get a 14 foot or so flat bed to tow behind your tractor with your bucket shovlel and snow blower on, and if you need salt and small walk behind spreader. might have a bad ass setup. and some extra diesiel on board for the tractor! if you have a 3 pt hitch, you wont even have to get out of the tractor to hook up the trailer, just drop in street clear the drive back up to the trailer grab you shovel salter ect. do your work, on the way back latch the trailer and go to the next one!

16. michics

michics Junior Member

Yes, retirement it is. Gets me out of the house in the winter to get exercise and fresh air.

17. Diesel59

Diesel59 Junior Member

First and foremost.... You better have insurance. I know last year we got hammered with 3 storms dropping 2ft each time. If you have anything that would move snow you were busy! A guy I know bought the small John Deere Skid loader and decided he wanted in the game. He got some work subcontracted to him.... Customer was out of town with a car parked in the driveway. Driveway was on a incline. He lost control of the skid loader and the bucket sliced the door open on the 2010 Mercedes in the driveway. Lucky for him he had insurance....

Heres the thing I found with snow removal. I by no means are any kind of expert.... I'm just a guy with some equipment that like playing in the snow. I use a little bit of everything. I have a ATV with a Plow, 3 Snowblowers, and a bunch of shovels. When we roll up to a drive way I try my best to clean it with as much care as you would if it was your driveway. We clean edge to edge, infront of the mailbox, sidewalks, main walkway. I plow while someone else blows and then we both shovel. I'm not cheap, Guys around here will plow you out for $20.... I have too much money in insurance and equipment to work for $20 per driveway.

For me time is money, the faster we move the more money we make.

A tractor with a cab is great in theory, but if you want to actually make money and have people call you back storm after storm. Plan on using the tractor, a small snowblower, and a shovel. Because most homeowners want their moneys worth meaning they want it to look like the snow "Forgot" to fall on their driveway/walkway. payup

18. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

First of all, The 2560 w/ blower is an excellent machine, We've used 1800's for years, You MUST have 4x4 on this or don't bother. Second, do the math, in heavy or deep snow, 4- 6 drives per hr tops. Everyone's a king w/ 2 inches on the ground. If you don't have a back-up that has at least 1/2+ the capacity of your main machine, Stay home because ALL blowers fail at some point, and usually with some serious down time. After doing this since the Mid-eighties, My Part time retirement job would most likely include sunny hours on a Florida golf course.

19. Outdoor Pros

Outdoor Pros Member

Bump to get post count up

20. grandview

Cheater!:gunsfiring: