1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small Snowthrower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Harvestman, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Harvestman

Harvestman Junior Member

Hey Guys. I was wondering what would be a great small snow blower. One That could be easly lifted in and out of the truck bed to do walks with out to much trouble. I would like something light but built to last. I'm new to the snowplowing side of the bussiness And Don't have a clue to whats out price or builder.Thanks in advance for the help!!

2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Step one: Use the "search" feature! :cool: (Click on the "search" link located at the top right of the page)

As an example, here's a recent thread on the subject of snowblowers:

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688

A search using the keyword "snowblower" should turn up a number of threads from the archives. You can post a reply to any of the old threads and bring it back up to the top for further discussion too!

3. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

best single stage no doubt.....toro! These blowers are not only light weight but will slurp up that soupy wet snow with snow porbem or without clogging at all!

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Sorry toro is the second best single stage.
    Honda 521 is better, IMO
    Dino

5. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I bought the honda last year under Dino's recomendation and I gotta side with him, it's one tough, idiot proof, work horse. Filled it with gas a few days ago & started it on the second pull, like it was never stored. A quality machine

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

It's good to see you back on the forum Handy.

~Chuck

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Toro can't be beat...

My vote is for the Toro. See other posts for a detailed discussion.

8. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

The little Toro (16" 3hp) is so small & light.

Way lighter than a Honda.

Honda's got a great engine, for sure, but I think the Toro curved impeller is better and the weight is much more conducive to lifting in and out of the truck and working around steps.

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I think that you have to go with Honda based on a motor standpoint. During a storm you want a motor that will last.

10. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Thanks Chuck!! Great to be seen. Getting to be that time of year again. Most of my contracts are signed, getting the equipment ready, staying up half the night to read all these post, I love this time of year!!

Mark

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

It not that I have anything against a TORO, but after using several 2 stroke blowers, the reliability of the Honda is so nice. I have been through 12" of wet snow and it threw it fine. The only thing that is a wear item is the rubber impeller peices, but that is with any single stage.
    The 520 also has a very nice price point. Around 500.00 I think.
    Dino

12. classicman

classicman Member

toro toro toro

Honda is fantastic. I used to sell it. More bang for the buck with the Toro.
    Reliability is a non-issue. They tie.