1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

small residential snow removal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MLLC, Nov 8, 2006.

1. MLLC

MLLC Member
    from MA

ok, this is one of my first posts on this site, which i got from lawnsite.com. I was wondering what if any are the options for snow removal for residenial without a plow. my vehicle is a 2000 RWD Chevy astro cargo van, so i can't put a plow on it, but what about snow blowing? i have a large blower that will fit into the astro, i think. What about, a plow mounted to one of my mowers, the 2006 simplicity broadmoor, isn't huge, but it's got power, traction control and it's heavy. what about scheduling, when do you guys do your plowing? early in the AM, or in the evening? as i have school, i know a few guys around here use blowers as some driveways are like a wall, and a couple teachers do plowing on the side, so i know it is possible. but what do you guys think?

and thoughts are greatly welcomed.

thank you:waving:

2. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

That would work but it would take a long time with the snow blower and the same with the mower. If you could do this close to home then I guess that would be reasonable. Also see what a good price for the driveways around your area would be. Im for Northern Jersey so im not even going to give you a ballpark figure.:cool:

3. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

if u really would like to start plowing and can not afford a cheap older plow truck....i would go with the snow blower...give it a shot if it deosnt work u get a snow blower out of it for ur own driveway lol good luck

4. Dodgediesel96

Dodgediesel96 Junior Member

hey what i'm from central jersey so our #'s would prob b kinda off. I'm 18 an i've been doing snowblowing since i was 12. Here's what we do. I have 2 guys on a crew. 1 uses the big blower for d-ways an big walks, i would reccomend an 8hp or bigger, other 1 uses the little blower or shovel. I'm in school also, and doing snow is tough but it's good $. We start the minute it stops, whether it's 1, 3, 5 in the morning we don't care, if u want 2 be competitive and known as reliable you must be willing 2 work at all hrs during the snow. And also, if the snow stops at like 6 am or later you won't have school anyway.

5. MLLC

MLLC Member
    from MA

we have sears's largest snowblower, just got it last year, thing is a beast. works well for a craftsman. i think it's 11 HP. do customers mind or complain about using the blower early in the AM?

6. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

Mike,

This seems to have been discussed at lenght, I would sugest a search. Something to think about would be a Toro Single stage snow blower. Maybe a spreader spreading ice melt. Both would fit in your van real easy without ramps.

Would save the dual stage sears for the really heavy storms.

7. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

They will not complain. Its your job thats what the customer is paying you. You should tell them right off the start that you will be using a blower and it will be noisier and take a little longer then a plow. The customer should be fine with that.:salute:

8. mr.mow

mr.mow Junior Member

i would agree with jeepplow 18, a good single stage(i like toro) is the way to go most of the time. you'd be surprised what those machines can do. in 6-8" of average snow not much drifting the toro would smoke most dual stage blower starting from the time you pull up, unload, do the job and reload...im already at my next job. They weigh alot less, cost less and you can save face when your snowblowing an 1.5" of snow with a 200lbs monster v.s. 1.5" with a more efficient machine. Its really been so long since i have had to use a 2 stage, but i would still bet the single stage is quieter also. just my .02

9. mr.mow

mr.mow Junior Member

sorry i agree with rj. Where i live the neighbors might complain about noise before a certain time but because you are an emergency service you are exempt.

10. go plow

go plow Senior Member

here is what i would ask myself in your shoes, what if we got a storm that dropped one inch of snow per hour? would i be able to be keep up and turn a profit ? im not trying to deter you away from using a blower because i use them sometimes myself, i just think that
    with a blower it not only would take you longer per client, but it makes it harder on the larger storms, or wetter storms, i do recommend that you get a cab for it so the wind doesn't get ya....

11. mr.mow

mr.mow Junior Member

you can make alot of money with a snowblower, but dont just think driveways make it sidewalks as well..all or nothing.

12. Dodgediesel96

Dodgediesel96 Junior Member

nah, if you havent already noticed, you can barely hear the machines in a snow storm cuz the snow absorbs most of the sound. Strike while the iron is hot and HUSTLE

13. Added Touch

Added Touch Member

First Thread

Hi all!! Just jumping in here. This is my 1st year in business having started out with mainly lawnmowing and property maintenance. I have just purchased a 10 hp Toro 2 stage, and plan on servicing primarily residential clients. Driveway and walks. I have read many of the forums and I understand most are reluctant to discuss price, but I am gonna jump out and put my thoughts on pricing, hoping to get any feedback (good or bad) you who have gone before me have for a newbie. I am planning on offering seasonal contracts for my clients that would run aprox. $200 a season just the drive, or $300 for the drive and sidewalks ( aprox 1000 square feet of drive and up to 75 linear feet of sidewalk) I would start when there are about 2" of snow amd guarantee them one visit each 24 hours during a snow fall. Salt would be included. My guess is that it shouldn't take more than one half hour to arrive, unload and complete. Customers would prepay for the season, or I would offer 2 payments with a 10% cost increase. I estimate I can service up to 20 or so customers, and likely would only need to go out 10 to 12 times based on snow fall.

Any thoughts if I am on track or out of the park appreciated. Thanks in advance.

14. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

This is my first year plowing as well but that seems like alot of driveways to do with a snow blower.:dizzy:

15. mr.mow

mr.mow Junior Member

for one your crazy, 10hp toro, must have cost atleast 1200-1500$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ why waste be more eff

16. Added Touch

Added Touch Member

Thanks Mr. Mow, now ur siding with my wife :) Didn't quite pick up what you are trying to say. Please repeat.

Thanks

17. Brian's Lawn

Brian's Lawn Senior Member

this is also my first year and i am also using a snow blower. as for the price.... $30 minimum unless its a really small drive and the $25. i messed up with my first client and told him $25. i live out in the country and it takes some gas to get into town. also youre out in the elements opposed to a truck and plow. and a blower scrapes the driveway a little better from what ive heard. good luck makin the payup

18. Added Touch

Added Touch Member

A fellow Canuck!!!

Hey Brian ..good luck and thanks
    tymusic tymusic tymusic