1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small Residential Plowing business with UTV

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by velocicaur, Aug 20, 2014.

1. velocicaur

velocicaur Junior Member

Hey guys,

I live right in the suburbs where there are three neighborhoods right next to each other. They all have your standard 2 car wide, ranging from 30 to 80 feet in length.

How do you think a UTV with a cab and a high quality plow (boss/meyer) would do in such a situation with 15-20 houses?

We usually average 75 inches of snow, but last year was a nasty one with over 110 inches. If we would have another winter like that, I am not sure if the UTV could handle it. However, with a typical winter where we get 1-2 "heavy" storms (~1ft) I think I could manage to stay on top of things.

Anyone else do something like this?

Thoughts or ideas?

Just brainstorming a little and this sounded like a fun hobby to get into and use my UTV all year round.
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

Can you get liability insurance for plowing on a UTV? Are you allowed to legally drive them on the roads between the houses where you live or would you be trailering it all over the place? Regardless of how much snow you get per event, 2 inches or 12, if you plow with the storm a UTV could handle it, and you should be able to keep up with 15-20 homes.
  3. velocicaur

velocicaur Junior Member

Yeah, you can make UTVs street legal with a plate in Michigan. I'm not sure if I would go that far just for putting around the neighborhoods plowing, but it wouldn't hurt I guess.

I have not checked into insurance, that is something noteworthy to look into.

Thanks for the info.
  4. hansenslawncare

hansenslawncare Senior Member

I would not use that set up. I would instead by a used plow truck off craigslist and pass out fliers to land more jobs. 15-20 isn't bad; but when a UTV; I think you'd be better off with a high quality 2 Stage Snow blower. Good luck buddy!
  5. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member

I've been plowing around 10-15 drives with my UTV with a 72" Eagle Plow for the last few years and granted we don't get the snow in Missouri that you have but the last couple years we've gotten a few 10-12" drops days apart. The biggest issue I have with the light plow is the drawback from the garages and end up doing more handwork, I'm sure the heavier Boss or Meyer would do better or throw you a small snow blower in the bed to get those areas and sidewalks.

I'm not doing this for money just for family and the elderly that live in my neighborhood, I do have Progressive full coverage insurance (no business coverage) we are allowed to drive UTV's on city streets year round with a $15 permit issued by the city. I also do my best to make sure I'm not taking work from anyone just trying to help those who can't afford or not able to clean their property.

I'm new on the site as of today and hope to learn some things while I'm here.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  6. rjk512

rjk512 Member

Not sure if I agree with the idea of using a 2-stage blower. I've done driveways like OP is talking about with a tractor and a four foot blade and a commercial 2 stage blower and I will take the tractor over the blower any day, MUCH easier and less work. I assume the UTV would be even less work, especially with the cab meaning extra comfort. However... That's just a matter of preference.

Also - You have to remember... A used plow truck might not be in the cards for the OP. He said he has a UTV and wants to consider using it year round. Why buy a whole new truck if he already has the UTV and just needs a plow setup for it?
  7. Bigdoghd

Bigdoghd Member

I just bought a Commander 1000 Limited and have a drive that is 900 feet long. I was also thinking of getting tracks for it. Just not sure on how it would move snow because of weight. It would be awesome if some one made a snow blower with a remote that would turn the turret without getting out of the UTV. It would be easy as hell to rig up with the winch except you'd only be dealing with the weight of the plow....plus youd need some type of stop so it didnt fly back.

I have a 1996 Tahoe in great conditionwith lights and a small 7' Snoway blade on it now. It does the trick. Just that the UTV would be fun, you could probably clean up with drive ways and would be very easy to get around
  8. Mike_

Mike_ Senior Member