1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

small residential driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by coalfieldslawn, Nov 23, 2015.

1. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

Hey, I was just wondering what you guys use on smaller sized residential driveways. I already have a plow and salt spreader for my f250, but some driveways in my area might be too small for it to fit. I have a rhino, but didn't know if it was worth it to buy a second plan for it. How do you all handle situations like this?

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

How small?? Got a pic?? How big is the plow you have on the F250?? Need better info...

3. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Unless your are going to be having a second person do them for you, I would stick to doing the driveways your truck can fit in. Not going to be fun having to switch how you're plowing during a storm to take on a few more drives.

(Unless you would use the smaller vehicle on everything?)

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I've got a 3/4 ton with a 9'-6" V plow. I haven't run across a driveway that is too small to do. Granted, some are a PITA, but I'm still able to do them. If you've already got the Rhino, I wouldn't think that it would cost too much to put a plow on it, but as someone stated above, I wouldn't do it unless I had another driver. Otherwise you'll have to do some with your truck, go home, switch vehicles, and then go back with the Rhino to do the smaller ones. Doesn't sound worth it to me.

5. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

It's just a 7 1/2 foot with wings. The places I'm concerned about are homes with bridges. I live in a rural area lots of homes have bridges to cross the creeks. Some also just have a longer driveway meant for one car.

6. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

That's a good point. Could possible buy the stuff to make amother plow setup and not make much off it either since I have the smaller one on my truck.

7. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

I got a quote on a 60 inch setup for around $600 and a 72 inch for about $800 at a local dealer. It is starting to sound not with it though. Especially with your comment and you havong that big of a plow. How wide is it when you fold it in?

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You could get a new or used Boss 8'2"V plow and that is 88" wide in the V mode. That should fit most drives and or bridges.

9. jhall22guitar

We used an 8'6 Boss straight blade and never encountered a place we couldn't do. We had one drive that was only 8'6"-9' wide between some trees (500-700ft long drive) and we had no issues and would just go slow with it angled and be done nice and quick.

10. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

That's good to know! I think I should be safe then with what I got. Might just save the $800 I sat back for the side by side plow. It more than likely just going to be me out there. Sounds like I might be good.

11. jhall22guitar

You should be good, Im guessing they are new sites that you think you might have trouble with?

After the first storm or two you will figure out ways to maneuver to best get everything just like normal. Thumbs Up

12. coalfieldslawn

coalfieldslawn Member

Haha. Yeap, they are! It's mainly smaller homes that I have as lawn care clients out in the county area (within 10 minutes from home).