1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small potatoes...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by MOWBIZZ, Jan 5, 2008.

1. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Got a call from one of my plowing clients at 6am this morning, and she says she "slid off her driveway" (last storm in my area here was a teaser with a rainy finish which wasn't even plowable) Anyway she asks me if I could come today (after apologizing for waking me up) and sand and salt her driveway. I said sure, but I thought you already had someone sanding, and she said that "moron" is not reliable. The reason I knew was when I plowed last I scraped up a lot of sand. This account was for only plowing and salt/sand was never discussed, but her building "manager" (it's a condo) was the guy who had sanded before.
    I goes to home cheapo and buys 4 bags of rock salt @ $6 per bag and went to my town yard and picked up about 100lbs of sand (free to residents). Mind you, I don't salt or sand for any other accounts, and this will be the only one. For today's effort I am thinking of charging $30 for the time and labor and I used about 50 lbs each of salt and sand on her drive...Between driving to the depot and the town yard to get material and spreading it by hand took about an hour or a bit longer...I'll have the stuff on hand for future events. Is this a fair price or am I under pricing myself? I figure I'll add another $10 to her plow bill for the rest of the season as well for the extra service...comments??

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Don't consider the sand "free" or you'll be expected to provide it for the same in the future. Figure out what the material cost and charge 2x or 3x that. You might also think about getting a cheap hand held or walk behind spreader, depending on the size of the area. You'll do a better job than throwing it be hand. Bottom line, though, if you're happy with what you're getting, that's all that really matters.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Also, that "free to residents" usually doesn't mean if you are getting it for commercial use (resale). We have the same thing here with the town sand/salt shed; but technically I can not use it.

4. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Yes I know, but it's not much material and I needed some quickly...I would be happy to buy some if I knew where to buy it. It's nice coarse sand...and no, she won't know i got it for free...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008