1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

small plows big prices

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fernalddude, Aug 20, 2004.

1. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys , been working on trucks for this winter and got on site a few times this summer. Am i the only guy who runs small plows and gets big time pay?? Iam a sub for major company (prob mangt) and the have many ind. props that are too small for pick ups or larger equipment. I run bronco II's and jeeps. with just one plow and salter i use over 3 tons of salt and cacl2 or mgcl2 each snow. I have storage bins at each location so i dont have to carry product with me and this year iam using pre wetting and liqiud spray. Have lab guys give me the mix for making my own liquid sprays and made own brine plant. Hope it works and if it does not will just go back to old way. I use old equipment that has been upgraded and rebuilt (trucks) spent 2 grand on latest bronco with plow and upgrades got about 6 grand in it and no payments..... (lol) My point do i just have good luck or other guys just dont want to do the smaller places been doing this work for over 20 years .This year got **** load of work turned over to me might not have to work the rest of the year if we have good season. So give me some feedback guys thanks

Let It Snow

2. fernalddude

come guys give me some feed back .......

3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

everyone thinks that I am B u l l s h i t t i n g them when I say I make more in a hour with a durango and a 6'6" plow then they make in a ¾ ton and 8' blade, around here I do car lots.

4. fernalddude

thanks nate at least iam not goig crazy but let me check my math smaller blade more time = more money .....

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I must be missing something. I would think that you'd get paid less per hour for using a smaller plow. I always get a set amount for plowing any given area ("per plow") so a smaller plow doesn't make sense for me. I can see that a smaller moldboard would be beneficial in some settings (such as Nate in the car lot), but in general, it just seems that "bigger is better". If I got the same as a 10' V-plow, I'd prefer using an S-10 with a 6'. Then I could take about four times as long and make four times the money with less paid for equipment costs.

6. fernalddude

yes mick i get paid per hour not per push its been working like this for years remember i do small locations and hard to reach areas big trucks cant fit in so thats why i get the money i do and the small salters get in tight spaces i even jump on the side walks with the trucks so i dont have to spent much time on them and if i got stop and get out of the plow i get paid per hour for that with half hour min i guess its all about the contract...

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Ok, I understand. Thanks. Between your last post and looking at your profile, I'm seeing that you're talking about the same like Nate does - small areas where larger pickups would have a tough time getting around. Business 101 - "Find a niche and fill it".

8. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I found I could do things with the smal truck that I couldn't because the big truck didn't fit!:D

9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I run all older equipment in good condition... I make more profits because I don't have to make payments on the truck or blade. I am putting a smaller truck together for exactly the same reason as you say--my dually is great for open spaces but in smaller areas (and residential work) its just too clumsy--I even have a "U" shaped driveway that I do that has a tighter radius than my truck can handle.... PITA!

10. Plowman36

Plowman36 Junior Member

Hey Fernalddude, I agree that small jobs can be very profitable. Here in NJ just north of NYC, I use an 86' full size Bronco and do mostly residential with some small commercial. You can’t beat the turning radius of the truck. I can get into some very tight places and move the snow where I want. I have been plowing since 1983 and have found I can make $300 or more per hour.

When I price my jobs, I use $5.00 per min. as a gauge. If I think I can do the job in 10-min, for example a 50' straight driveway and a grassy area to put the snow, I'll quote $50 per visit. No walks, no shoveling, no salt. I usually have someone with me and if a sidewalk is required, it’s extra. I drop off my helper when I start and he's usually done about the same time I am.

Over the years I determined that my average is over $300 per hour even with travel time. All my jobs are within a two square mile area and some I have been doing for 20-years. I average about 25-30 accounts per storm and if it’s a big storm, I do each account multiple times (billing for each visit).

It works for me.

Plowman36

11. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

hey plowman did NJ move last i knew it was south of NY;)

12. Plowman36

Plowman36 Junior Member

Look at a map, put your finger on ground zero (formerly the World Trade Center). Directly due north is the northern part of NJ where I live.

Plowman36

13. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

TO EACH IS HIS OWN:) Everyones situation is different, I have always used an ATV with a 5' blade to do my small jobs. It seems equipment price to equipment price that the ATV makes more money than the F250. This is do to sidewalks & the apartment complexes that are not accessible with the F250. Salting is the same as plowing on my operation I use the ATV for this as well do to size restrictions. The ATV is a pain to mess with, but it beats the hell out of a snow shovel or push spreader on solid ice. Big Nate I agree about the car dealerships, The F250 is just to big and nerve racking to operate around a lot filled with new vehicles:eek: We use the ATV to push all the tight areas around the cars and the push up the piles with the truck.

14. fernalddude

thanks guys for all the post thinking of atv and bobcat for large codoplex got plenty of work. :waving: staging equipment might be prob but will work out the small things in a few weeks .now just having a few :drinkup: and working in shop clean,paint,repair (lol) better in 80 deg rather -20

15. fernalddude

hey guys been doing maint on all my plows but just got one back from paint shop and boy does it look great ..... what a coat of paint does .. but the prep work was a pain sanding base paint sanding fiberglass sanding grrrrr but what a payoff looking like new so putting in liqiud spray system and getting other trucks ready for the fall hope everyone is ready let it snow snow snow :nod: