1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

small parking lot

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Nov 20, 2004.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

A guy I work with at the fire dept. asked to give him a bid for his business parking lot. The lot is only 14 parking spaces, 7 on each side of the lot with no obtacles. He does not want any of his sidewalks maintained since he has employees for this. The lot has 2 sides that are wide open for pushing the snow and Im estimated 15 min to plow this lot. I was thinking of charging 30.00 for this lot per push. I have other accounts just 2 blocks from where this business is.

What do you think?

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You better go and put your fire suit on. Guys here charge more than that for a driveway!

3. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I would say about 45 to 50 bucks bare minimum myself. I would not even start my truck for that lot for 30 bucks even if I had no other pushes. You can price yourself too cheap and have problem gettin a fairer rate in future. It is a fine line to walk sometimes

4. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

I agree that 50 bucks should be the minimum for a commercial lot like that. It is not worth it to roll into the lot for less than that because if you break and have to get someone to cover for you they are not going to charge you less than that and then it is costing you money.

5. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the advice guys.

6. WELDER

WELDER Member

i say 45 to 50 also.maybe alittle higher. why drop the plow if you arent gonna make enough to fix it if something breaks?but thats advice from someone with no lights on his plow :)

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A good way to price sometimes is: How much would it cost you to send a broker to plow that lot. He leaves his last location, drives to this one and plows it. How much time was that and what did you have to pay him? Now add a couple of bucks for profit. Theres your price. :)

8. Tarkus

Only if you plan on breaking down a lot. I do not like paying anyone to do my work and have not had to, yet anyway.

9. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

45 to 50 would be more resonable. That 15min could go to around 25min if you add cars.

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Tarkus

I'm not sure if anyone would plan for a breakdown, I'm sure we have a plan if a breakdown occurs. I have 11 people plowing. There is not enough money plowing by myself. :drinkup:

11. Tarkus

I have run 2 trucks of my own for many years but this year just one of my own but I have someone else with one working for me as needed too. Next year I plan to have a total of 3 availible after one is "restored" for service. You can do okay with a few trucks on a good winter if you can keep maintain no down time with equipment and not have to sub anything out. I try to stay on top of equipment and inspect it regularly and replace things that look marginal. I am so "picky" that I have even had a friend make me over sized pivot pins to take up slop from wear in the past and now I get my son to make them when needed out of tool steel then harden them. Yes it is a bit of a fuss but I like my plows nice and tight.