1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small mountain town with a new Walmart to bid on...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tman3007, Jul 14, 2007.

1. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site and love it already!!! I own a landscaping/snow removal company in a small mountain town in Colorado. We have about 30 plowing accounts (res. and commercial). We've been doing the plowing for about 6 years and there are no accounts in our town that are terribly big. There is a new Walmart opening in September which is only a few weeks before the first snow flies here at 8500 feet!!!

I have already met with the management/hiring team from Walmart about the plowing account. We haven't submitted a bid yet but are planning to put together a comprehensive package together for them. One small problem though, my company or any other company in this area has ever bid on a lot this big before. Walmart told me their trigger is 2" which seems crazy to me, but we have to base our bid on that trigger point. We were thinking of putting together 3 proposal packages, i.e. (per push, hourly, and a seasonal contract) with salting and snow "removal" above and beyond. If any of you that have experience dealing with this type of client has ANY tips or bidding info I'd GREATLY appreciate it!!!

Thanks, Todd

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Good luck, they will most likey go with lowest bidder. Then call when 1/2" is on the ground. If it were me I'd bid as a seasonal with a cap on the number of trips, after that it's more per trip but less per trip than a straight per visit contract. Good luck.

3. tman3007

tman3007 Senior Member

Thank you

RLM,
    Thank you for the post, I am going to just price it where I feel it needs to be and hope for the best. But I feel like you, I know that the lowballers will probably squeek in there and take the account. We are definitely gonna push for the seasonal contract to simplify things...hopefully! I meet with them again in the morning, I'll let ya know how it goes.

Thanks, Todd

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure you have a cap on the number of trips or number of inches, etc. What I have found is that they say trigger is 3 incehs, but start calling at 1.5 inches for service. If you can run up the trips you don't mind so much going out (your not eating the costs), keeps me happy & tenants happy, landlords generally pass the costs on to tennants anyway, so everyone ends up happy. Good luck,
    Mike