1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small Hand-Held Salt Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by CarlosT, Oct 7, 2003.

1. CarlosT

CarlosT Junior Member
    from PA

My son wants to start a little sidewalk snow removal service and I was wondering how salt could be spread. I guess a broadcast spreader would not work for such narrow work. A drop spreader?

2. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

I would get a Scotts broadcast spreader from Home Depot for around $40. Make some deflectors from sheet aluminun, plexiglass, or even thin plywood. My Scotts spreader that I use on the lawn throws 5-6 feet wide at a pretty fast walk. It you could contain the spread pattern I think it would work fine.:drinkup:
  3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I have never seen or heard of anyone using a drop spreader for salt. We always used broadcast spreaders, and bought the deflectors for them, but they can easily be fabricated as well. Used them without deflectors for years without any problems before I saw they made such a thing .
  4. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I salt a very small parking lot, takes about 10 minutes to plow, with an $8.00 hand held spreader. It works best with dry salt. I keep my salt in 5 gallon buckets with lids.

Start them out young, and they'll be hooked on snow for life:waving:
    Mark K
  5. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Depending on how small the walks are... 5 gallon bucket and a grain scoop.
  6. Husker1982

Husker1982 Member

Give him 2 salt shakers and let him have at it. :D I would steer away from the drop spreader. I am not for sure cause I have no experience with one at all for salt, but I believe the salt rocks may be too big to spread well. In all seriousness the bucket with a scoop is where I would look (Lawn Lads Idea). You may find that getting a spreader out and preping it and putting back away each time may be a pain.
  7. DanG

DanG Senior Member

At the Condo's i did last year i used a broadcast spreader with the deflectors(picked it up at true value for $90). Used it on most of the walkways and sidewalks.....
    In the areas where it couldn't be used i bought a hand held spreader with a nylon bag, carried it with a strap that goes over your shoulder, when it was full it held about 30lbs of salt.
    As long as the salt was dry it worked great ,but the best it worked was when i used calcium chloride pellets in it (due to their round shape) it just seemed to flow better then the salt did.