1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small dump truck plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kramer, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

This should be a poll, but, how many of you people plow with small dumps as opposed to pickups?? I guess to make it easier, how many used a 350 or 450 ford or similar size truck?? And.....how many have tried using this for residential vs commercial?
  2. bbrsq

bbrsq Member

I have two 3/4 pu's that we plow with. They do both residential and commercial. I have a F550 that mainly does commercial. I will use it on residentials if I have to. The 550 replaced a '97 F350 with a 8' dump body. That truck use to see more residential work. Now my commercial accounts outnumber my residential 3 or 4 to 1.

I think it all comes down to the type and size of driveway that dictates what size truck and plow you can use on it.
  3. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Ram 2500

F550 dump

The dump is better for large accounts, but I'm all commercial
  4. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

we have 450's all are crew cab 2x4's. A few have 8.5' plows, most have 9' plows. we do all commercial accounts, residential are hoa's or apt. complexes.

Seven trucks have 3 yd vboxes the others we load with a pallet or two of ice melter. That and a good set of traction tires works fine. Never got a truck stuck in the last seven years.

As far as residentials a newer 450, the 05's on have a tighter turning radius, actually better than my 01' 250, so if you had a reg. cab truck it would probably work fine. Crew cabs get pretty long.
  5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Both my trucks are one-ton 4x4's with 9' dump boxes... they are right at home on commercial work but still fit in residential driveways too. Definately not first choice if you do mostly residential, but workable. Gotta watch the mirrors on the narrow driveways! They snag a lot of tree branches too...
  6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I used to run the 3500 Dump on Resi- lots of blind spots to contend with, but it's very doable if necessary. I prefer the pickup for many reasons, blind spots are a big one of them.

Plus my ram will push the same amount of snow as the dump so there's no advantage for me in resi.

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

F 350's

I plow 100% commercial use mostly F 350's and a 3500GMC