1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small Driveway Routes Unplowable

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 92XT, Dec 11, 2007.

1. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Iv always wondered what you RESIDENTIAL w/ STRAIGHT BLADES guys do if you have a cat.4 (blizzard)storm and you cannot plow the drive because it got drifty(2'-3') on you while circling the route..Im talking the ones that are 50'x8' or 25'x8' w/ hedges and fences hardscape etc..and no where to push it. Say you have 20 drives inside a 7-12 mile radius. Traffic , immpassible roads and accidents. Just Curious.Thanks
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

desperate situations call for desperate measures. That being said. my main driveway truck is a 94 Toyota with a 6'8" Fisher on it which will push a good pile of snow, if I got behind I have my 05 PSD with a Sno-Way V plow to bust things open as backup. Further backing up the Ford is a Kubota L48 TLB. I'm not afraid of any snowstorm this year wesport
  3. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

but where is it piled with just a straight drive w/ garage at one end and the street at the other? retaining wall to the left and fence to the right?
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Where do you usually put it? The way you set up the situation, you'd need a snowblower to blow it over the fence or retaining wall.
  5. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

I have one like that and I just turned another one down for this reason.

The one I have is about 12 ft wide and leads directly to an under the house garage--about 30ft long. There's a 6 ft retaining wall on each side---it's like a tunnel!

For these, if you can't use a blower to get it up over the walls, then the only answer is to backdrag into the street and then feather it into the side of the street.

Fortunately for me the one I have is close to my place so I just take the small skid steer over and use that ---I can transport most of it down the sidewalk and dump it at the end of the lot.

For some places, there's just no good answer-- pushing into the street is against the law, but how else???
  6. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

snow blower? ....
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  7. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

IM asking you.
  8. Mick

from Maine

Well, the only way I can see would be to backblade from the garage; turn around and push into/across the street (but that is illegal/unprofessional). Now the problem is that you said you let it build up to 24" to 36" apparently implying that you don't think you could drive over that much. So, to me the obvious is that you plan it so it doesn't get that built up or you use a snowblower. This would be the PROFESSIONAL approach. But since this is the "Non-Commercial Snow Removal" forum, the answer would be to hire a professional to begin with.
  9. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Like I said, push it into the street and feather it in if there's no other choice---are you expecting the miracle answer here??
    There isn't one...oh yeah, mount a gas burner on your plow and melt it....add a scoop to the rear of your truck and scoop it all into your truck and dump it elsewhere.

The only answer is to move it to the street if all you have is a plow. Thats what everyone does despite the fact that they say its against the law...most people just push it all the way across the road and do a quick cleanup.
  10. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

:salute: you tell'em Mick
  11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

92 XLT

To start with I would not take a customer with your scenario with no place to put the snow.
    second why did you wait for 24" why not plow @8".
    If I get non customers calling me after the storm and its as you describe it I would not do it, Nothing says I have to! If I can push to the side or to the end I either lift the blade 8" and do a run or take bites and push to the side. Ive plowed 24" its work, but it is doable. Feathering the snow down the side of the street is ILLEGAL
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2007
  12. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

If I get in a big pinch, I can always get my hands on a loader.
  13. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Some jobs aren't worth having.
  14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I would not have taken the account, as it is not plow friendly.
    as mentioned let the neighborhood kids snowblow it or get a truck mounted blower.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  15. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

Four words "plow with the storm"
  16. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

truck mounted snowblower now thats just strait up lazyyyyy
  17. Mick

from Maine

I don't understand that. What's lazy about it? Lot of guys have truck or tractor-mounted snowblowers - front or rear for a 3pt hitch. In some places, you wouldn't be able to clear snow without one - a plow wouldn't be enough.
  18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

And you do not need to unload or load it:D
  19. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

Charge lots of $$$$ for the pain in the *** of a driveway that it is and figure something out. a 24" blizzard would be a fairly desperate situation, and i think given the circumstances the town wouldn't mind if you pushed across the street or did something a little unorthodox to clean up the mess. but that depends on where you are, and where your city council members were born and raised..... ill leave it at that with those guys....
  20. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal Member

Hey Mick..not to split hairs here or anything..if your getting paid to do residential, doesn't that mean you should be professional? Not everyone has commercial accounts