1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small contractors track at SIMA next year

Discussion in 'Snow & Ice Management Association - SIMA' started by szorno, Sep 24, 2010.

1. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Folks, most of you know that I am reasonably active in SIMA. I am back on the symposium committee for 2011 going to Schaumberg, IL. One charge that has been leveled at SIMA is that it is focused on the bigger companies $.5M and up. Many of us that are members of SIMA are much smaller but no less committed to the industry. The last 2 years they have done a full track of training sessions on liquids for deicing and anti-icing. I am going to propose that they do a whole track for the smaller business. Here are a few of the topics I personally would like to see presented:
    ** Account sales for small companies focused on small commercial and residential growth (where most small companies cut their teeth and grow)
    **Insurance protection- how much is enough (3 trucks, 1 loader and how much liability?)
    **Subcontracting for dummies- how to hire your best friend and not loose him
    **Niche markets & Equipment for difficult jobs- hard can pay well (when to go to a skid steer, or compact tractor to do a job best)
    ** Route management for best profit

Now, here is where you all come in. Give me other topics. Most tracks have been 4 related classes. I would like to present 5 or 6 options to the committee in a couple weeks for classes and have some support to back it up. So, if you like anything suggested, write it in this thread. If you have a subject that you would really like to learn about- put it in this thread. If you think SIMa is not worth your time, put it in ANOTHER thread.
    Thanks for your support.

2. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

How about SIMA coming to Canada and focusing more on Canada and snow operations in Canada. Make SIMA worth my time. Sometimes you need to take the good with the bad. Life is not always positive.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Since we all start out at diffrent places, maybe some classes on how to fix (out on the fileld so it'll last the rest of the night) and maintain your equipment so it will last fir years I come.

4. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

pm sent................

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

You have to go to Erie PA for that.:mechanic:

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

How about a class for knowing your costs so we might eliminate some of the 9 billion pricing posts on here,lol.
    But seriously a quick class on finding your cost per hour.
    Managing routes on a smaller scale (maybe of 2-4 trucks)
    Some of this stuff might already be offered but I haven't joined yet :blush2: I am this week.

7. ajslands

They have build a bid

8. szorno

szorno Senior Member

OK guys thanks. Keep the ideas coming. Note to non-SIMA members- you can come to the symposium for a flat fee per day. SIMA members do get a discount though. Brian-Welcome !

9. Brian Young

Thanks, just joined tonight, for the free coat of course, courtesy of JD Dave,lol

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  10. ajslands

It's more of a sweat shirt than a coat

11. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Great stuff Scott,
    How about know your numbers, you can get 4 related classes for this.
    Mix and match with commercial, industrial, municipal, HOA, and residential.
    Myths about residential.

Just a few of the top of my head.

12. Brian Young

Perfect! now I have a nice sweatshirt to run around the house in along with my tighty whitey's :laughing: J/K of course.

13. szorno

szorno Senior Member

OK, we're getting some good stuff here. Thanks Brian and Neige. Anyone else gotta thought? What has kept you from trying something new or big? Maybe there is another contractor with some experience. Still need a couple more suggestions.:waving:

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Very true but it's a nice sweat shirt. ;)

15. Rich Arlington

Rich Arlington Member

I agree we need to have more nuts & bolts for the small contractor. I have been pushing that for years...

also FYI , Rich Arlington & Associates will be launching a Know Your Numbers & Budgeting Basics seminar for 2011. we will take to three cities in 2011 to test how much response there is... This will answer alot of the questions we have had on here.

16. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Scott how about a track on how to get the most out of SIMA. A brief history, how to navigate the web site. Explain about the learning center ( White papers, Snow Drifts articles, Tip of the month, SIMA savings, download production rates, contracts & forms.
    How to search through previous Symposium presentations. How to go about networking, using your SIMA buddy. Explain webinars, the CSP program, what goplow.com is. There is more but I think you get my drift. Lastly maybe close with how to market being a member of SIMA to your clients.

17. Rich Arlington

Rich Arlington Member

Neige,
    all of what you asked about is exactly what the SIMA Buddy program was designed to do.... if your SIMA Buddy is not helping you through this please contact the SIMA office and request a new Buddy...

18. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Rich its me Paul Vanderzon LOL. I mention this because most of my buddies never contact me. I send out a welcome email, and only 5% ever respond. Then the feedback we get a year later is that they don't get anything out of SIMA. Just thinking of other ways to reach new members.

19. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

The SIMA Buddy program is O.K.......But the main problem with the progam is...My Buddy when i joined several years ago was located in Maine..Im in Michigan.....He can lend some general advice on Snow plowing in general... But he has no clue what the Michigan Market is like and can offer no assistance to me about this market....I think the buddys should try to be matched by state...If that can't happen...SIMA should atleast try to get someone in the region.........JMO....

20. szorno

szorno Senior Member

OK, some good stuff here. I will present the whole concept to the symposium committee this week.
    Thanks for the input.