1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small commercial lot

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mtfd774, Oct 15, 2006.

1. mtfd774

mtfd774 Member
    from conn

I'm putting a bid for commercial property . 15500 sqft. I'm estimating about 200-300 lbs of salt per application . Does that sound about right ?
  2. LB1234

LB1234 Member

Depends on how many/frequent are the applications, when the applications are made, current conditions, and what the customer wants.

We have a commercial account were we are only responsbile for salting sidewalks, walkways, stairs, and the front entranceway after the storm is over and we perform our final cleanup. I don't have the exact square footage but the walkways/sidewalks total about 600 lineal feet at a 3' width. So approximately 1800sqft. We use about two 50# bags or two runs with our WB spreader. Although we do run the salt more on the one sidewalk than the other due to one having full sun exposure and the other having hardly any. The entranceway is about 200ft long and about 20feet wide or about 4000sqft. We place about 4 50# bags of #2 rock salt on the entranceway.

Generally speaking, if we can get the salt down around 6am right before the sun comes up or before the sun goes down and vehicular traffic isn't that high we will be fine. However, we need to place more during ice storms or heayy vehicular traffic or days in which the sun isn't out.
  3. bobwitheclc

bobwitheclc Junior Member

Try asking your vendor what the recomended app.rate is based on what conditions.
    Our ice melt rep is also our fertilizer rep and she is very helpful when we have these types of questions.