1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

small commercial lot bid help please

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by aloe, Nov 28, 2011.

1. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Hi guys, does anyone have input on what they think is fair for this size lot.

it has 3 rows of 5 parking spaces & room for 5 more, maybe 150 ft. drive to the rear of the building where there is an open lot for deliveries.

going to take pictures tomorrow.
  2. SiLlY

SiLlY Member

See if google maps has an overhead pic of the property.
  3. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

it does but I cant save or link the pic

1707 union _ 2.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  4. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Figure how long it will take you and multiply by your hourly rate. Do you have a hourly rate????
  5. SiLlY

SiLlY Member

I dont think i have PM ability yet on this site, otherwise i'd tell you to pm me the address and I'll get the pic for you.

You can email it to me if you want.. me.silly@gmail.com
  6. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

The sqf of the lot is 10,580. I estimate 210 lbs. of salt. All in all, I should be able to have this done in 1 hour. Owner wants snow pushed to a specific area which requires a lot of backdragging. Also, there is a 110 ft. sidewalk to be cleared & salted....its clear of obstacles & I can probably hit it with the plow.

So, I was thinking
    $160 1" - 4"
    $200 4 - 8
    $250 8"- 12"

includes salt....
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Am I missing something? $40 to plow and $25 for a bag of salt, done in 15min.
  8. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

Nope, all opinions are welcome...I have read on this site that i should expect to use 20 lbs. salt / 1000 sqf. wasnt sure how long it would take to plow.
  9. pictureitgreen

pictureitgreen Junior Member

I bid at $90 per hour for small parking lots and $125 per hour for large. for a pick up truck and i always bill by the pound for salt for example I'm paying around $4 for a 50lbs bag of salt so i would charge .28 cents per pound. but everyone has there own way
  10. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

so...its sounding like 65-75 is more like it. this is in the upstate NY, albany area.
  11. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

210lbs of salt = $105.00 You need to add sidewalks to the price + calcium. Don't give them an all in one price. You will be salting the lot way more times then you will be plowing.
  12. mikegooseman

mikegooseman Senior Member

X2... and keep in mind your sidewalk cost can get expensive ! you have to slice the pie (project) in individual pieces, then you will be able to add all your time/cost and then you can set your profit margine , of your choice. JMO
    Good luck !
  13. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

agreed x3, i do a coffe house with constant traffic, i can't afford a slip and fall.
    so i am hitting the sidewalk all the time to keep it salted and clean for all the old ladies that come in in the afternoon... i actually got a compliment from one of the old ladys, that their walks are always nice, so she wasn't afraid of falling... i really like this coffe house, so i;m also there ALL the time... hahaha..

keep that salting the walk in mind,
    cause i bid the coffee house for this year cause they added more parking lot, and obviously the bid was higher than last year.. but the only concern they had was is salting the walk included? after i said yes, they were all over it... granted i split the cost of all of my salt with my dad, i do his 3 lots and my 1 with the salt we buy, and i'm only paying for half so the coffe house doesn't know they r getting a deal on that, at least as long as my dad doesn't sell a buildingf:eek:
  14. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

bid submitted....i'll update if I get the contract...fingers crossed :)
  15. aloe

aloe Senior Member
    from NY

What do you guys think is fair for a storm cap? If u cap at $xx up to 12 inches...does the contractor take the hit when snow falls in excess of 24-36 inches??