1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small commercial bid?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Feb 12, 2003.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I was at the orthodontist's office yesterday and the nurse knew I did plowing and mentioned that their guy was very unreliable (they had to call him at 10 in the morning when they opened at 8 and we had 3" of snow before they opened!) apparently he doesn't get up to look at the weather, plan ahead or anything. So she said they pay him $250 a push. I'm sure I could have the job if I want it, but I'm new to pricing commercial plowing, would the 250 likely be for upto 3"? 4"? How would I price it for different increments? Like $50 an inch? I have no clue. It is an L shaped lot with the front about 4 car lengths wide and the side about 3 car lengths wide. I'm not sure how long these sections are but the side is shorter than the back. It has some sidewalks to shovel but not alot. I'm guessing if it has 2" or less of snow I could do it in an hour and a half or little more. Maybe 2 hrs. with 4" snow. We don't usually get more than a couple-three inches. I'm going to use my Scag hydro w/b with a 60" plow on front and a sulky (yes it can handle it). I might call today and see if they are on a contract or what and if they want someone else to do it.
    Just wanted info on pricing structure.
    Thanks,
    Eric

2. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Pics... show the place, you will get more here willing to give you ideas if you show pics...

3. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Stick with residentails till you get a truck. How are you going to transport it there? Drive the mower on the road? I know you want to get more plowing accounts, but i wouldn't jump into it.

Bryan

4. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

be careful with what you get yourself into with that walk behind, meaning...what will you do if a big storm comes? a scag, no matter how determined you are with it will not roll 4" of snow.(windrowing to one side) what if it breaks...got a back up plan?
    and the final thing you should consider is the image being portraid of the business. a professional business using a youngster with a walk behind plow to do the entire parking area,well lets just say there are a whole lot of issue's with that.
    no offence to you bush hog,i commend your spirt but you still have to be resonable.
    dan

5. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing.

6. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

shoot, we don't get big storms LOL. The Scag can handle 4" ok.
    Bryan, will haul it on the trailer.
    Dynaplow, I would only windrow if it was a light storm, 2" and above I would do shorter pushes. Would work fine. You have to understand where I'm at we don't get deep snows.
    I'm probably not going to get it this year, I was just curious how you would charge per inch, etc. Oh yea, if we ever got a huge storm I could borrow or rent a friend's tractor and blade.
    Well thanks anyway :rolleyes:

7. IndySnowPlowers

IndySnowPlowers Member
    from Indiana

BushHogBoy

If you get it...or any other...and need help, let us know. That's what we're here for.

www.indysnowplowers.com

8. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

9. IndySnowPlowers

IndySnowPlowers Member
    from Indiana

No, Columbus is perfect!

Just go on our site and send us an email via the contact us page. We'll talk and get you up there soon. We have been trying to network with people from your area for a while, but have not had any luck. So, if you know of anyone else, give them our web address!

Fill out the contact us page and we'll call you or email!

P.S. The website will be getting better here shortly. I'm gonna do it up a lot nicer!

Thanks!

Steve
    www.indysnowplowers.com
    :waving:

10. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

To sign up any commercial work your also gonna need to have insurance. Snow removal work isn't quite like landscaping, there's alot of liablity and you need to be set up to do it and must be able to perform. Like some other said I would wait till you get a truck and just stick to a few drives for now.

11. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

i think you would be better off using a snowblower then that thing. if your going to do it with out a truck plow. i wouldn't even think about bidding it until then. stick with res.

12. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

there are a lot of considerations to commercial plowing. Personally I would save it until I got a plow truck to work with. There are times when the amount of snowfall is tough on a truck let alone a mower. Only my 2 cents

Rick

13. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

BHB,
    I understand that you would like to do some properties with your Scag plow butt I don't think it's too good of an idea. First of all, you're still in high school so you're gonna have to go to school and also plow at the same time. Commercial accounts want their snow removed by the time the first car rolls into the parking lot. I'm guessing that you start school around 7:40 a.m. like I do and it takes me about 45 minutes to get ready and if they want their lot plowed, you're gonna be getting up by the latest 4:00 a.m. and I'm sure you won't want that. Second, like the others said, you don't have a backup plan to plow with. Third, do they know you plow with a mower instead of a truck because about 90% of the commerical accounts that I can think of ask for insurance and one customer isn't gonna be enough to hold it. It's just not practical to provide snow services without a plow truck. I'm saving up so that I can get one, and it will save time too. An 8' plow is a lot faster than a 5' plow. And you are inside a heated cab not like on a mower. I would hold off on it and try to get some neighbors to plow for until you can afford a plow truck.
    JMHO. Peace