1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small but tough city lot

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by AccuCon, Oct 17, 2014.

1. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

So I'm looking to see what you guys think of this one. I almost think its going to be a complete PITA since there is like no place to stack snow.

I guess the last guy pretty much stopped showing up. He was charging $100 a push with salt (crazy in my opinion)

The lot is about 17,000 SqFt (approx .4 acres)

It is a Inn/Hotel so it will require 24/7 service plus it has a restaurant and bar.

Here is what I'm thinking so far:

1-3" $125
    4-6" $200
    7-12" $325

Salting at $100 per application

I'm not including any walkways though I do have walkway salt (spot salting at $35)

[​IMG]

Thoughts? I almost want to price this one high and so what if I get it. Thing is if they like the price and it works out there is a couple other lots in the same area that would be interested (why I'm quoting this one).

So thoughts guys? Should I go higher...Can I put in a clause to terminate service if it just sucks :dizzy:...lol

Also any removal (probably going to need it) will be a separate contract and is stated such in my main contract.

Thanks in advance, this site and the members are awesome Thumbs Up

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Myself $100 per visit with 1'' trigger is good money here in a 6'' snow fall might have 3-4 visits + After salting it day after be another visit cleaning up slush
    Salting seems about right could be little more

3. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

MY thoughts ? ...........................fair on plowing , but mark that material up...
    oh . and what is the price for 3.5'' AND 6.5'' AND over 12'' ?

4. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

3.5 is within the 3" and 6.5 is in the 4-6" I have never really had an issue

Snowfall over the 12” price given will be calculated on adding the next closest accumulation amount for that event reaching the total accumulation. (Example a 18” storm would not exceed the cost of a 7-12 and 4-6 combined)

Used this for a couple years now and have not had any complaints when it happens.

My weak spot seems to be pricing salting...

5. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

mark that up .65% per ton spread .get er dun

6. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

you only got 1-3 & 4-6 covered . there is .9 missing on both increments . if i was a jerkoff land barren , you'd be chewed up n spit out . LOL

7. Citrausa

Citrausa Member

not to sound like a complete savant, so you're saying when I quote a place I should say one inch to 3.9 inches and 4 inches To 6.9 inches?

8. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

Nit picking....Pretty sure 1-3 4-6 would hold up in court...You could get into trouble if you did 1-3 3-6...Client could argue he is only paying the 1-3 for 3.9

Apprently CityTow is assuming no service is getting done at 3.09999-3.999999 in other words complete nonsense

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

And again,where were you for the 1st 11 inches of snow fall? Still sitting home watching cartoons?

10. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

crazy , just plain unexplainable crazyness .

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe this will help.If your a per plow guy,you start at lot one and plow and charge them ,then move on to the next one. And keep plowing and charging till done. If your seasonal ,you keep plowing till it stops and everything is plowed out. Why should the owner take a hit if you can't do you job? You might end up billing them 3 plows and equal one 12 inch plow,but by showing up and taking care of them shows your just a little be better then the guy who waits.

12. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I still don't get that pricing structure. If the client wants it pushed every 2 inches, charge x for it and be there as many times as it takes. The only time I can see the staged pricing is if you are plowing at the end of the event.
    That said, if they want a close to zero tolerance service, $100 is actually a little high. At zero or close to it, $60 a push seems right to me....push 4 times and make $240.
    Just trying to understand it. Not trying to be a know it all.

Edit.
    I assume the op isn't plowing at the end?

13. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

This would be a per-event price...When bidding per event you figure how many time you would be out there per storm of X inches and charge accordingly. Many customers like this because they don't get a bill for 60x5 visits in one storm. Plus they don't feel like they are losing money when it doesn't snow a lot in a season yet they paid for it.

They know how much it snowed and how much they expect to be charged...

A per-push quote would be different is like you say ever time you come out you charge X

and seasonal is well what you expect for the entire season of snow and times on the lot...

Boss explains it pretty well here:
    http://info.bossplow.com/Blog/bid/135727/How-Snow-Removal-Contracts-And-Stock-Portfolios-Are-Alike

14. Buswell Forest

from NH

All I see is headache with per event, and hard feelings with seasonals. But, I have logging to be doing if it doesn't snow, so maybe that's why per push seems best to me.

15. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Citytow is right, I had those .9's in my contracts. Just takes away most arguments for inbetween totals. Never know when it will crop up, and it will sometime.

16. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

I see what you are saying but no one would expect to be billed for 3.5" as 4-6 and 4" as 1-3... Like I said if you over lapped the numbers as in 1-3 and 3-6 could be trouble....

What happens if it is 3.95" Hmmmm is it a 4-6.9 or a 1-3.9???

17. Buswell Forest

from NH

If I have this right, per event is really just per push with a different name. It still costs the same, more or less.

18. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

They are very close...But

"per-push" could be set up for every 1" in a high traffic area So it would be considerably more then per event

They should all be pretty close since it's based on hourly rates and material..

I kind of look at per-event as I quote you a price and its up to me to get it done for that price (regardless of pushes)...

Its much easier on billing and justification, I think....Since its documented how much it snowed and you have a set price for that

19. jerpa

jerpa Member

I've had an easier time explaining per push rates with a trigger. The maximum number of pushes they pay for is the total depth of precipitation divided by the trigger. In the event of prolonged fast accumulations I may lose out on a push but that results in a lower bill than expected which never seems to bother a customer.

I also avoid defining whether the overnight 2" snow followed by the 2" clipper at 5PM is two 1-3" events or one 3.1-6" event.

20. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

That is why you define Event as a 24hr period starting from first accumulation so it would in fact be the latter if it was say 3am and 5pm since the total snow accumulation was within the 24 hour "event" time frame...

Wording is so important in contracts for snow removal. In the past I have done a lot of big contract work (like 5+ million dollar jobs) in electrical engineering and project management. You need everything covered, if you can think it so can they, so keep thinking it; no matter how crazy it is.

~edit
    My customers would prefer the next higher bracket rather then two 1-3 since I give a slight discount as the snow piles up