1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small business owner needs snow removal advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ferrys, Aug 25, 2015.

1. ferrys

ferrys Junior Member
    from CT

We have 2 parking lots and we bought a ram 2500 w plow and I have a rancher w plow also for secondary tight area support. We end up getting so much snow in ct we lose too much parking space so we have it removed at a large expense. We're thinking of buying a professional snowblower but don't know if it would snowblow the plowed piles at end of lot higher to save room... will a big blower do that or should we look into a mounted snowblower or skid steer, we aren't mechanically inclined w heavy eqpt so... need advice

2. ferrys

ferrys Junior Member
    from CT

Ariens pro series looks like it would be up to the task? Any experience

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Skid steer or mini wheel loader would be you best bet.

4. ferrys

ferrys Junior Member
    from CT

Yeah, I figured that but between upfront and maintenance costs I doubt the owner will want the hassle, let alone not having heavy eqpt to move/transport it

5. dieselss

Can't drive it from lot to lot I take it?

6. ferrys

ferrys Junior Member
    from CT

I can but what about if it breaks down and the initial transport, maintenance would be a learning curve like everything else I'll have to do research and know what to look for when purchasing, we'd hope a pro series blower would get er done

7. dieselss

Sorry. But your expecting a walk behind snow blower to move snow piles made by a plow.
    That really don't sound smart at all.

8. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Even with a blower where are going to put the snow. Its against the law to blow it into the street or someone else property.

9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

X2.

If you don't have enough room just off your parking lot perimeter(s) to support and stack your parking lot snow into, you have limited options...truck it off site or bring in a loader to move it around on site and dump it on whatever greenbelt area(s) you have.

11. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

You can get people to stack your snow after large events. We frequently run loaders a few days after big snowfalls just stacking snow for people who plow with trucks. In our area its done on hourly rate. Just call a contractor you see in the area with a loader. Alot of the time you can manage your piles better. Even the construction pros make this mistake.

12. dieselss

13. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I bet it's north of $50k. It'll move piles though.

The best "home owner" option for walk behind blower is, of course, the Honda 1132. That'll move a considerable amount of snow as well but I still think it's too small to blow piles back.

14. ferrys

ferrys Junior Member
    from CT

Those Zauggs are ridiculously awesome and out of my league but sounds like stack the best we can and try a blower as we plow to see if that's rational

15. dieselss

Still don't see why you wanna work harder. Just don't make change.

16. ferrys

ferrys Junior Member
    from CT

The costs to remove it is higher then the value we'll receive from stacking it ourselves

17. dieselss

Ok then look into the skid or mini loader.
    The walk behind snowblower is just gunna take forever...if it will actually work. It won't cut through the pile after it freezes and becomes concrete.

18. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

If you try to use a walk behind blower, make sure you buy your shear bolts by the pound. I bet you'll get nothing done other than replacing them.

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I wish I would have thought of this a long time ago.

20. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Ferrys, forget about moving plowed piles with a walk behind snow blower, ( other than the one Camden is wet dreaming about ) it won't work. You'll need at least a skid steer mounted blower, and if the piles are frozen, that may not be enough either. Is it possible to plow it to the appropriate areas in the first place, even though it may take longer, rather than piling it up and taking up parking? The account I have I plow with a skid steer and plow 80% of the time and a truck and plow the other 20%. If I used the truck only I would end up with piles taking up parking spaces. The skid steer allows for locating snow to places the truck just can't maneuver to, thereby keeping the entire parking area pile free. Anyway, just something to think about.