1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

small area vehicle recommendations

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mook, Sep 19, 2005.

1. mook

mook Junior Member
    from Ohio

i have a chance to bid on a job at a condo complex that i landscape. the bid has to be in on saturday. i've been searching since last spring for a truck to handle this job. the concerns i have is the streets around the condos are only 18-20ft wide. there are 38 units total, each drive into the units are only 12-15ft wide. on both sides of the streets and along the sides of each drive are wooden fences. the parking lots are only standard 9x16 spaces off the the streets and they always have cars parked in them. this criteria renders it impossible for me to fit either of my 3/4 trucks (05 ram 2500 quad cab, 02 f250 super cab). basically, what i am looking for is a small wheel based, 4x4. i'm hesistant to go with a compact sized v6 truck because going into and out of the complex, there is a long drive and a decent sized hill. i'm afraid the snow will over power something smaller and lighter. i don't want to invest too much because i will only be using the truck to plow this complex.

they just don't make trucks like they used to (ie k5 blazer, ram charger) and you would think that a mfg'er would realize that people need 3/4 ton trucks with a small wheel base.

suggestions?

2. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Mook, welcome to the site, sorry nobody has replied yet, I don't have any suggestions that I'm sure you haven't thought of yet.

I would look in the paper, the used "snow plow " trucks are starting to pop up all over and you may find one of those legendary K5's.

Good Luck !

3. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

it sounds like it might not even be worth your time to bid it. it also sounds like it might be a pane to plow.dont wast your time! plowing contracts are easy to get the way it is.

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have any pictures to help us better understand what you are working with?

5. mook

mook Junior Member
    from Ohio

it's very much worth it. the job pays $6k for the 3 month season. i'm already paid for 10 months of the year for the landscaping, so technically, i make an extra month of income.

6. mook

mook Junior Member
    from Ohio

best i can come up with (satellite photo) lol.

condos1.jpg

7. mook

mook Junior Member
    from Ohio

i think today i'm going to slum some cheap lots locally. i've searched ebay, local ads, high and low for anything. so i'm going to try to find a "disposable truck" today that will hopefully last through the season.

8. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

if it pays so well go buy a new truck. :waving:

9. mook

mook Junior Member
    from Ohio

i've already got too much invest in vehicles.

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Well its hard to tell by the photo but, it looks like a pretty good size place, at $2000 a month, if you get alot of snow you could end up losing you butt on this one. Or if you need to do a lot of salting, those charges could kill you as well. As far as you having too much money invested in trucks already, I would'nt suggest spending more and buy another one but thats just me.

11. mook

mook Junior Member
    from Ohio

no salting. it will take me ~ an hour to plow the entire place. it's also in a valley that doesn't get much snow to begin with.

12. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

What part of OH you from.... I have an 88 bronco with a 7' plow needs alittle work here and there but starts everytime... $2200 my bottom dollar (west central Indiana) if your still looking...

All_Clear

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Do you own a skid steer of utility tractor? That would be best from the description you give. If not, get a 1/2 ton short wheelbase.

14. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Would something like a Jeep Wrangler do the job. An 87-95 you can usually find for a reasonable price.