1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Small 5-10 gal max- salt bins for condos

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DeereGuy, Oct 21, 2009.

1. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I'm tired of dealing with misplaced 5 gallon bucket lids and frozen salt buckets. I have not found a good solution for small salt storage containers used for a condo with a lot of retirees. I only need about 8-10 units in key areas of stairways etc. These areas are maintained by me only during storms as that is the arrangement( a cost issue). Between storms, folks are supposed to spread their own walks and connecting stairways. We have used 5 gallon buckets for years but one misplaced top and the whole bucket is useless. Looking for a hinged weather proof designed container that is not too large and one that is reasonable. $200 is not reasonable for a 5 gallon roto-molded PE container IMO. Appearance counts so no home made units. My ideal unit would be heavy poly eth in a trapazoid shape perhaps 8- 10 gal or 2 cu ft , larger at the top to easily knock out frozen salt with a spring loaded hinged lid. all for $50-$100. It would be nice to be able to remove the lids and stack the containers as well. How am I doing now...

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I use the 5 gallon buckets from home depot with the regular lids ( not the pita lock lids ). Then I attached a bungie cord to the lid. Never had it rock up, or any lost lids. I also put a small bucket inside to use a spreader. $7 buckets each setup.

3. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

I had that issue

http://www.andersonsanitary.com/485F.pdf

Check out page 7. I used the round 10 gallon with the lids below it at a school that insisted that I leave salt at each entrance. I can't say they were perfect as far as being weatherproof but I could take the top off and use an ice chopper to break it up easy enough.

Only issue I had was that i had to put huge signs on them that said "no garbage" since the students would throw all kinds of stuff in there.

4. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Thanks guys. I am now looking at dog food bins with a sideways swinging door that could be bungeed to close. If the contents freeze or fuse there will be no way to empty it though. As far as regular bucket non locking lids that may be key as I dont think these retired folk, some into their 80s, can get the top off or back on securely. I tried a few with tether but found it wasn't losing them that was a problem but simply getting them back in a sealed state.

There has to be an easy solution. I am going to purchase one of the large size dog food bins to check it out. Also will replace all lock lids with reg easy lids. Around here its pouring rain one minute and 5 degrees the next. Any moisture and its all over. So, I won't go with any self opening style lids. I like the containers that snow-ex put out but they are simply too large.

Rotomolded dogfood storage bin

http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3756553dt.jpg