1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sluggish sometimes E60

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by 24hrsparkey, Feb 28, 2007.

1. 24hrsparkey

24hrsparkey Junior Member

I have a 3 year old E60 ,, more time than not it has gotten very sluggish ,, UP,and left + right. Works and sometimes returns to its snappy self , then sluggish again the motor sounding like its not at full power or RPMs
    IF i jam it all way left , it will temp opperate normal for awhile
    So Far ::
    changed fluids
    cleaned screens
    checked ALL elec conn's 100%
    replaced main power soliniod

Further remidys/ guess-es
    brushes worn out OR sticking in holders
    stickey pilot ck valve
    stickey b or c guts

Any help greatly app , 24hrsparkey

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

If the motor is a single terminal unit, it could be caused be corrosion. Unbolt the motor from the pump base and clean both mating surfaces. Do NOT paint or apply any dielectric grease to the mating surfaces as that will insulate the ground connection.

Another area to look at is the pump pickup screen, and sump. If there is any sludge in the sump then it needs to be disassembled and cleaned....

3. 24hrsparkey

Thanks , the motor is the 2 term . And your probl right , i gotta take the motor off and see whats doing under the brush case.
    I did not clean the inside screen yet,,,,, you did bust me on that one !!
    Its just weird that its sluggish and then for a short time its normal
    spark

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

sparkey, depending on how old the motor is, I'd go after the motor and/or brushes since it sound's like you got all the common issue's already covered (filters,fluid,connections). Although the two terminal motor's don't have quite as much trouble with water getting in the motor and rusting the brushes and their holder's, it does still happen if the pump spend's most of it's life outdoor's. You mentioned that when you let it "slam" against the angle stop it seem's to return the pump to normal. That's a good sign that the brushes are loosing contact with the commutator in the motor. That "jarring" may be shaking the brushes in their holder's and again allowing them to make contact. The next time it get's slow, have someone operate the plow and using something relatively soft (short 2X4 or a plastic hammer) give the motor a whack (not too hard!) with it and see if it instantly speed's up to it's usual speed. As to the internal pick up screen, don't worry about it......the E60's don't have one, although it never hurt's to disassemble and clean the sump base out anyway.

5. 24hrsparkey

B+B and everyone Thanks for all the tips . BB ,, thats exactly what i was thinking about the brushes , heat or most likely the slamming the plow to the left jarring the brushes some.
    Thanks for the info on the screen , but i still bet there is some sludge in the bottom of the sump , even with fequent fluid changes.
    Looks like i gotta dive into it and i let you all know what i found . Maybe if i find the culprit it'll help someone else out.
    24hrsparkey

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Let us know what you find. :) Good luck.

7. 24hrsparkey

Hey , sorry for the delay.
    Well i finally got a chance to pull it appart.
    YES , the motor brushes were worn some , but the real issue was gunk on the armature and brushes and brush holders.
    Some observations while i was in there :
    Very HD motor , armature , bearings ect . Nice.
    VERY marginal weather proofing in the brush , holder areas also tooo many HD electrical terminations with reg plated screws.
    I gave it some love and clean up , but i guarentee it will happen again with the conditions a s/plow opperates in.
    Bottom line , Yeah !! Its back to it's snappy self !! And if you all have a 3 year old pump , and its sluggish at times and reg at times ,,, look at the brushes and such .
    thank you all , 24hrsparkey

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear you got it all fixed up.Your right about the motors being pretty heavy duty. It's just a shame there not more weather resistant.That's why Meyer came out with those polymer pump covers.

9. 24hrsparkey

Yep she's running again , thanks for the help . Gunk free for now.
    I'll order a new brush set , as soon as i can find someone around here that knows they just sell a brush kit !! I've asked ( With the correct part # ) a few places and i just got the "look"...........

Pump w/proof cover ,, probl a good idea. I think i have seen a black cover thing , must be it.
    thanks ,24hrsparkey

10. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Glad I read this having same problems. Checked everything but brushes because dealer didnt think I had enough use on it yet. Thanks for the info! Its always something with these Meyers it seems like. Wish I had a red one again!

11. gseinc57

gseinc57 Junior Member

gseinc57 Boise Id

hey sparky

please let us know if your plow starts acting slow again as I have the same problem, you can see my thread from about 5 days ago where I asked the vetrans of this business for help in determining why my meyers e-47 will not operate in warm temp's, but it is normal perky self at anything below about 40 degrees, I have done what you did checked and went through everything except the electrical motor, I could not put a theory together that made sense and gave me a reason to pull off the motor and check the thing out, could you give me some basic instructions on pulling that motor off, and after it is off what to look for in the sump, it looks like it is just drain the unit, remove 2 nuts and remove the electrical cable connector and remove the motor, then what ????, your input is greatly appreciated