1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Slowing down an Ultra Mount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bigblock73, Jan 11, 2011.

1. bigblock73

bigblock73 Member

I have a 2006 Mid weight.
    When adjusting the plow,I touch the controller as lightly and quickly as I can.
    The plow moves very quickly and more then I want it to move.
    I can't get the plow parallel with the front of the truck.
    If I try to raise the plow an inch, to get the blade just off the ground for gravel drives,it raises a couple of inches.

Is there an adjustment for the speed

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

The only adjustment is the "Quill". this adjust the blade drop speed

3. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

That's a "feature" of the handheld control, allowing the blade to glide to a stop (by leaving the valves open for a split-second after the motor stops). The joystick control provides an immediate stop in all directions except down (it goes directly into float mode).

4. twinman326

This might help to explain better
    function.jpg

function.jpg

5. bigblock73

bigblock73 Member

I'm learning that I don't like that "Feature"
    I'll be looking into buying a joystick

Thanks for the info

6. Whitey

Whitey Member

I must say this is the first time I have ever heard someone complain that their plow is to fast. One down fall to the joystick is that the plow will "slam" at the stop and this wrecked my cylinder packing and clogged my system.

7. bigblock73

bigblock73 Member

Whitey
    Can you elaborate
    the plow will "slam" at the stop and this wrecked my cylinder packing and clogged my system.

My complaint is that I don't have finite control
    When I take my finger off the controller button,the plow keeps moving
    I can't get the plow to stop in the position I want

8. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

When you let go of the joystick lever the plow stops. In my case, it's not bad angling right, but to the left the stop shakes the whole truck. I worried it would eventually cause something to break (hose, seal, valve). Up and down work fine, but I really don't like not being able to only drop the blade only a little. With the joystick, down goes immediately into float mode so if you're travelling and need to slightly lower the blade you can't.

The handheld takes some getting used to. What I've found is you need to learn how much travel there is after releasing the button so that you can compensate for it. After a short while it becomes second nature. Another trick to getting it to stop angling where you want it is to angle it with the blade on the ground. The friction will generally stop the blade as soon as you let go of the button.

I currently have both controls in my truck (the plow came with the joystick and I bought a handheld on eBay). Today we had over 30" of snow and the handheld got a pretty good workout. I think I really mastered using it, and I like not having to reach for a control mounted on the dash.

9. Whitey

Whitey Member

In my case my plow had no positive stops on the A frame therfore it used the packing in the cylinder as a stop. The dealer told me to weld stops on the a frame or get a handheld, the handheld is supposed to have a "soft stop" I am no expert but that was my experiance.

10. twinman326

I never heard of such thing. I have a joy, and have no problems.. If I want to stop the blade before it touches the ground, all I have to do is tap the stick. same thing with going up.I have no clog in my plow system, and my rams are just fine..

If you want the plow to land soft without slamming, then adjust the "Quill"..

The only different between a joy, and a hand held..joy is permanent, and the hand held is mobile..

11. Whitey

Whitey Member

Again I am not an expert this was my experience. He is not talking about how fast it drops but about not being able to have it in the exact angle he wants it when angling it keeps moving after he has released the button "soft stop" your joystick stops instantly.
    The problem with my system being clogged was more due to the fact that I did not have a metal stop welded to my a frame allowing the cylinders to extend to the max therefore crushing the packing. The dealer told me to fix this I needed to weld the stops on or get a handheld.