1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

slow ultramount pump

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by brendan21m, Jan 8, 2011.

1. brendan21m

brendan21m Junior Member

hi, i have a western ultramount 8 ft plow and right before the winter i changed the motor there was nothing wrong with it i just felt it was better to have a new one on. when i tested it i noticed it when slightly slow and drew more power. and after 15 minutes of the first time plowing in the first storm the pump made a weird high pitched sound. but it stopped and didn't do it again last night the there was 4 inches on the ground and we were doing light plowing and not beating on the truck because it is on the verge of blowing up. but towards the end the pump got really slow and barley lifted the plow up it was also slow side to side but it held the pressure it also made a crunching sound when ever it was lifted or moved side to side. we called our local plow shop and he said check the filter, loosen this one bolt all the was then tighten it one and a half turns and he was convinced it wasn't the pump. the filter was fine we took the whole assembly apart and every screw turned except the one he said to check. we have also changed the oil but it didn't make a difference also the brand new motor had rust on the inside of it even though we sealed it with silicone and grease everywhere. please let me know if you have an idea of what its about? im tired of asking my friends and family to go out and finish plowing for me then having tho pay them in the spring.
    thanks

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Do an amp draw test on the motor. If it passes, do a hydraulic pressure test. Both of these require some specific equipment, but if your "snow plow shop" is truly a snow plow shop, they should be able to handle it.

3. brendan21m

brendan21m Junior Member

We can run.the amp test ourselves and he can definitely do the pressure test he just told us to try that first to save us 75 dollars an hour

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The new motor was an aftermarket unit right?

5. brendan21m

brendan21m Junior Member

Yes and I also noticed the terminals were in completely different spots

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's your problem, hate to say it but you get what you pay for. :waving:

7. brendan21m

brendan21m Junior Member

Yes and I also noticed the terminals were in completely different spots

8. brendan21m

brendan21m Junior Member

The motors fine

9. brendan21m

brendan21m Junior Member

It's a western motor I bought from cpw

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A true western motor or a motor that fits western? CPW handles both, the aftermarket one will be the less expensive of the two.

11. brendan21m

brendan21m Junior Member

The motor is fine

12. brendan21m

brendan21m Junior Member

i just finished putting it back together it works fine. i got the screw loose and it was adjusted right i think it was one of the solenoids only opened halfway when i took it apart they were corroded

13. brendan21m

brendan21m Junior Member

Last storm on Wednesday I went out at 2 am at about 10:30 am it when up fine it went down fine then it took 20 seconds go up halfway I put the old motor back on and it. Still did it?

14. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

i had the same problem it was the shaft on the pump it had a spacer that was left on from the old motor it bound up on the inside of the casing.

15. brendan21m

brendan21m Junior Member

And it went up reallyyy slow?

16. 54powerwagon

54powerwagon Senior Member

it would not work one time then the next sounded like metal on metal then it would stop lifting. the motor shaft is slotted the pump shaft was slotted the other way but with 2 spacers it would not always engage the pump shaft. some times just spin with out making contact or just grind away at the top of the pump shaft.

17. brendan21m

brendan21m Junior Member

I don't think.it matters anymore I'm.gonna order the check valves and the small and big cartridge if that dosent work I'm getting. A new truck cuz I need a new
    Erg
    Exhaust
    Head gaskets
    Injectors
    Ball joints
    I think struts
    Tires
    Brakes
    I have no emergency brake and it slid down the drive way yesterday so yeA
    And plowing not even an inch in a flat parking lot the trNny started acting up I left and turned a corner and it felt like it was in neutral so I put it in 2 wd and.noticed it wasn't in 2 wd it was in 4 wd so I put it in park then back in drive and 2wd and it was in 3rd gear so I shut it off and turned it back on it worked fine drone 15 miles to.and from work went back to check.the parking down the street when I was about to leave it started to vibrate then jump.into gear even thou it was in first then driving home it did whatever it pleased at least I was following a bus that stop ecstatic 10 feet for 5 miles