1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Slow to raise 2590

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by rsc, Dec 17, 2007.

1. rsc

rsc Junior Member

i have a Predator 2590 that has been moved from truck to truck over the years and is now on an 04 Dodge ram. the blade is slow to raise and if left in the raised position over night will drift down (about 12" to the ground). i can find no hydraulic leaks but can not seam to isolate the problem. Any ideas? how fast should the unit raise?
  2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Here is a link to the repair manual for the Fenner hydraulic power unit on your plow. This will give you some things to check. How old is the oil in the unit? Is it full? Has it been flushed and cleaned at any point that you know of? Sounds like it could be some debris in the system. It it has been a while I would flush the system, clean the tank and the pickup tube screen inside the tank and refill with oil. Let us know what you find and if you get the problem solved.

http://www.snoway.com/service/Fenner Repair/97100036A.pdf
  3. rsc

rsc Junior Member

thanks Tom, i bought the plow new in 97. This plow has been my work horse and has actually replaced the Fisher on my personal vehicle. I wish i had "discovered" Sno way before purchasing other plows. I have changed the fluid every season and maintain the tank full but I have never flushed it (there is always something missed when you service it yourself). Will debris on the pick up tube screen cause the plow to drift down overnight or am i looking at a second problem?
    I have made an appointment with Route 34 Auto, Truck & Trailer
    1580 W. Ogden Ave. #240
    Naperville, IL 60540
    to service the unit and i will let you know what the outcome is. Do you havae any performance data as in how long it should take to move full stroke on the cylinder?

thanks again.
  4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

No- Debris on the pickup screen would not contribute to the drifting problem that you describe. It could cause the plow to raise slower as the pump is not pushing fluid at maximum capacity. With the plow being 10 years old and never having been flushed I would suspect either debris in the spool valve, check valve possibly, or an internal leak in the lift cylinder.

Keep us posted.

Glad to hear that you like your Sno-Way.

Happy Holidays,
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

doubtful it would cause a slow leak down. how is the DP operating? Could be your lift cylinder. A slow leak down from the raised position and excessive cycling on the Dp are symptoms of a worn lift cylinder.