1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Slow Rotating Lights

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by UpstateMike, Sep 24, 2014.

1. UpstateMike

UpstateMike Junior Member

Does anyone know where I could possibly find a slow rotating amber light. I am looking for one right around 100 bucks and don't want a ridiculously fast rotator? I like the old style like you see on the county trucks.

shopping.jpg

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Those are huge and draw a lot of amps fyi. And are expensive
    Might want to move this post to the strobe lighting forum

3. UpstateMike

I didn't realize there was a strobe light forum....Thank you! Can I ask how to move it?

4. ThompsonPlowing

ThompsonPlowing Member

E-bay should have something
    :mechanic:

5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

6. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I'm with you, those fast rotators give me a head ache. Those old school grotes are great lights.

7. ThompsonPlowing

ThompsonPlowing Member

I love the new strobes.. I want to be seen!!!!

8. UpstateMike

Thanks Maxwell! I like the new stuff too but I just like the classic look that you get from a slow one. I have a four hideaway system and a round strobe beacon on the roof now but I'm looking to add a headache rack and wire it into the toolbox because I'm getting moisture in the third brake light causing it to work when it wants to even though everything is siliconed and heat shrinked.

9. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

I moved it here to the Strobe forum for you :waving:

10. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I agree. I have a Star 36" Interceptor that (in the upper half) has two regular speed rotators and two high speed rotators. If you ask me, the high speed rotators spin so fast that the "blink" is simply too short to get noticed. And when you have regular speed rotators right next to them like I do, you can really see the difference. I'll take the old regular speed rotators any day of the week.

Then again, the lower half of my bar is all LED - mostly Whelen LINZ6's. As good as the old fashioned rotators are, the new LEDs do one heck of a job - and draw way less power. doing it.

If you want rotators, I'd recommend getting a rotator that spins the reflector / mirror as opposed to sealed beam bulbs. The difference in current draw and complexity (and thus reliability) is significant.

11. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

I have a couple of those big old rotator lights laying around if your interested.

12. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

13. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

^---- Check out 1:09 on the video for the $80 light, he shows a basic blinking pattern. It's a class 1 like the Whelen (bright) and has a 5-year warranty, much cheaper too.

14. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

The rotating pattern on our Strobes N More beacon will do 3 different speeds. Slow, fast, and faster.

15. UpstateMike

How big of a difference is the Low dome to the High dome? I have a standard strobe now that goes about 6-7 inches tall.

16. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

HAHA, check out the second review for it ($80 one):

"...choose the pattern I liked the most (pattern 3, 75fpm rotator). Reminds me of my Dads old dual par 36 halogen rotators back in the day on his railroad signal maintenance truck. "

17. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Your sig says you're in "upstate NY." If you're anywhere near Avon, NY, you can stop right in to Star Warning Systems. Go to the Customer Service area on the north side of the building. Gene will give you all the help you need.