1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

slow plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by fruitcakesa, Jan 29, 2009.

1. fruitcakesa

fruitcakesa Member
    from Vermont

My elec/hyd fisher snowplow has been running slowly the past 2 storms. The battery is only 2 yr old, grounds are new and alternator is putting out 14 volts although when operating the plow voltage drops while I hold the joystick. It had been operating normally just 2 storms back. The unit is 11 yr old and I changed fluid last season. Any ideas

2. fruitcakesa

fruitcakesa Member
    from Vermont

Just for kicks I decided to check fluid level and when I started removing the fill plug, fluid started leaking out under pressure so I socked it back down. Should the fluid be pressurized at any time? Engine was off when I checked.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

flush and fill time. drain the angle rams and empty the tank. pull the pump & clean the filter.
    i bet that will cure it.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

well , heres a question, when you did the flush and fill.... did you add fluid with the lift cylinder up? If you did you might have too much fluid in the system ,

when the lift cylinder lowers the fluid is returned, and if the level is too high thats why it could be pressurized

like no lead said , i would start with doing a fluid change and go from there

5. fruitcakesa

fruitcakesa Member
    from Vermont

The thing is that up till this last storm the plow has worked fine for the past years worth of plowing. Why would it suddenly slow down?

6. fruitcakesa

fruitcakesa Member
    from Vermont

I replaced the pump motor and all is fixed. The old motor had about 1/4 end play on the shaft. I guess it was time for a change. 12 year old unit