1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

slow plow?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 5brothers, Jan 27, 2009.

1. 5brothers

5brothers Junior Member

only in cold weather, plow bareley moves. help!

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

What are you using for fluid? Do you give it a chance to warm up for awhile to thin out whatever fluid it is? If it's ATF it may take awhile!.....just so ya know, this post may get moved as this is the picture forum, no big deal though, happens all the time! =]

3. Rangerman

Rangerman Senior Member

fluid could b in need of a change does it get better as u use it

4. 02dmaxx

02dmaxx Junior Member
    from Pa.

not to hijack the thread,but my plow is just the opposite. It's a belt driven unit,and works fine for about an hour. After that,I have to rev. the truck hard to get the plow to lift/angle. The belt is tight and pump is full(synthetic).If you do not rev the truck,the plow will lift about 8" and drift right back down. It's an older unit. Would it help to flush the pump with kerosene or something and replace the ATF,or could the valving be shot?
    Thanks in advance.

5. PlowGood

PlowGood Member

O2dmaxx

Maybe your battery and/or alternator is not putting out enough juice? Other than that, it sounds like a hydraulic issue.

6. 02dmaxx

02dmaxx Junior Member
    from Pa.

plowgood,my unit is belt driven,no electronics unless I'm missing something. I just bought the truck a month ago and the plow worked fine. Went plowing last night,noticed it was low on fluid so I topped it off w/synthetic ATF and it worked fine for about an hour,than it wouldn't lift/angle unless truck is reved real high.

7. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

I'd guess your pump is shot. After it gets warm and the fluid thins it won't build pressure unless you rev the engine to spin the pump faster. Changing oil and going to a little heavier weight oil may help for a little while. A smaller pulley will also help since the pump will spin faster. These are band-aids though, what you really need is a new pump. Years ago when my engine driven pump got to this point I replaced it with an electric unit like this... http://www.centralparts.com/Accessories/New-Power-Packs/New-Monarch-Power-Packs/Snowplow-Power-Pack/10983/

8. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

What kind of pump? But in general, start with flushing out the old oil/fluid/water in the pump & cylinders, clean any filters it has, and fill with the CORRECT fluid.

9. 02dmaxx

02dmaxx Junior Member
    from Pa.

04sd,thanks. Any idea what a rebuild would cost? Can I buy the parts and do it myself? I only paid $600.00 for the truck and plow and would like to keep cost down if I can.If nothing else,would a power steering pump suffice?

10. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

I haven't had a belt driven pump for over 20 years, no idea if you can get parts or rebuild kits. I have seen pumps on ebay every now and then. I don't know what make plow/pump you have but Fisher may be one of the last that used or still uses engine driven pumps, you might try a Fisher dealer but it won't be cheap I'd bet. If you're just using this for a few driveways you may get by just going to 30w oil but it may not be real happy when it's real cold.

11. 02dmaxx

02dmaxx Junior Member
    from Pa.

Ok thanks again. It is a fisher. I'll try a heavier oil and see how that works. Any advice on how to get the ATF out of the cylinders,or just empty the pump and lines and not worry about it? If the pumps shot,I imagine I don't have to be too particular.

Sorry 5brothers for hijacking your thread.Hopefully some of this info will help you out as well.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  12. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Before disconnecting anything lift the plow a little and but some blocks under the A-frame to keep the blade a few inches off of the ground. Pull the hoses off of the cylinders and angle the plow side to side by hand forcing the oil out of the cylinders and making a big mess :)

13. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you could just jack it up with a floor jack. disconnect the hoses from the pa block and aim the hoses into a bucket while you push it side to side and not spill a drop.

14. 02dmaxx

02dmaxx Junior Member
    from Pa.

Thanks. You've been much help!

15. Gettindirty

Gettindirty Member

16. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

20+ years ago I had an engine driven pump and manual valves with control rods through the firewall, and the pump was shot. I payed $400 at that time for a new electric/hydraulic under hood pump with toggle switch controls. Besides the bad pump I wanted to get away from the manual valves.

17. 02dmaxx

02dmaxx Junior Member
    from Pa.

Dirty,nice looking pumps,like the electric clutch idea. My problem is,for all I plow per snow fall,It would take 1 1/2 six inch snowfalls to pay for a new pump:eek: lol. Heck, the truck is $50.00 away from paying for itself after two snowfalls! Maybe if I get more serious about plowing next season I'll upgrade it,until then,Band aide,band aide,band aide.