1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Slow plow operations

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by rmartini27, Dec 20, 2009.

1. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

plow works but is very slow, it seemed to get better as the day went on. changed the fluid late last season. its draining the hell out of my duel batteries. i pulled the motor last season because of a problem w/the valve body the filter was fine. does it sound like the pump or motor?

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

It could be either, but my money is on the motor. Did you flush the system last year, or just dump, clean and fill?

3. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Just for giggles-- when it's running slow go out and Lightly tap motor with hammer or ratchet head-- if problem corrects-- time for a new one or very shortly will die on ya! Can't make any money when it's dead !

4. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

We did that problem is not the motor. But if you keep running it like that you will do damage to the motor. Then you will change the motor and still have the same problem.

5. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

i dumped all the fluid i shot it out of the pistons when i changed both directional hoses so i dont think it is the fluid. but i will swap it out anyway. Repoman how would you flush the fluid? Snowpro if your problem wasnt the what was the problem? thanks for the input guys i really havent had the time to take everything apart, i'll keep you posted when i start diggin. merry christmas

6. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

slow plow/ Growl/Etc.

My problem started when I bought a reman motor about 2yrs ago. Truck I bought had a used mm plow on it. Ok, orig pump went, get another no problem or so I thaught. Well the reman had a worn shaft that I never saw because what the heck, it's a reman, shouldn't have a worn anything. That motor didn't last long. So this time I bought a brand new one, I'll fix this once and for all. This new one did the same thing but atleast it worked. Started this season just where we left off, sound bad but works. Then it happened voltage drop, growl/ groun,Etc. Found a place open on sunday! got another New Motor!!!. Put it on, same thing worked, lights dimming the whole bit. Then it hit me When you get a new motor it's all one piece, 1 end cover, 1 case, 1 shaft end. Well to put the motor on you take off the shaft end cover and what is in that cover? thats right, a brand new bronze shaft bushing. But we don't check the bushing in the pump head O God NO, We just put in the new motor and every thing should be just fine. After 3 motors and almost $600, I replaced a $10 bushing and the motor sounds like a swiss watch!! Now like I said don't through out your old motors. I put back it my 2nd motor and it is mint. Now The mew motor I got on sunday is on te shelf as a spare. The bushing is .750 OD and .625 ID and .625 H. So, pull the motor ck ID on bushing. The shaft should fit snug when you put it in. With a worn bushing, the armature hits the case and grounds out hence the growl/groun/voltage drop/dim lights, and on and on it go's. GOOD LUCK

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

You have the old SEHP motor right (has the lift ram built into the pump.)?

If so.....Pg. 5 and below View attachment 60285

8. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

No, mine is the Insta-act hydaulics, seperate motor/pump unit, seperate lift piston. On the SEHP unit, the motor stay all in one unit to install.

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

......I was answering the OP's question. The Instact is in there too though if you need it Snowpro.

10. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

repoman thanks for the attachment. snowpro i dont have a mm i can tell you with certainty that i never checked bushing for the pump i'm going to look at a blow up diagram so i see exactly what you are talking about. thanks for the info i will get that bushing swapped out and i'll tell you how it works. that would be great. the motor seemed fine whe i had it out last season. so it would make sence