1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Slow payers!!!!

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by VEGGIEPLOW, Jan 9, 2010.

ive got soooo many slow payers this year. i figured up last night that i have over $21,000 in invoices out right now.. it seems that everyone is slow paying, from walgreens, bob evans resturants even the subdivisions.. anybody else having this problem? :confused:
  2. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

What is slow pay to you? Commercial accounts usually take 30 to pay, at least a majority of mine do. now residential is a differant story.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

residentials take like 2-5 days to pay. the most ive had is a month.

well, in the past ive generally been paid within two weeks of submiting the invoice dealing with hospitals, strip malls etc.. ive just picked up 6 local walgreens and their pay seems a lil slow.... its ok tho, kinda like money in the bank.. but everybody is dragging their feet with payments... we've had a killer winter this year.. :)
  5. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I have people that owe me $$ from fall cleanups......
  6. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

You guys are too nice, we have to sign a contract & pay up front for the season before the first flake falls or no service is done.
  7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Try adding a zero to your number.
  8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Big acres....thats gotta hurt!
  9. dchr

dchr Senior Member

I've had a couple slow payers so far this year but not $ like you guy's are talking about. When I say slow I mean at the most a week late. As far as you guy's saying "commercials usually take 30 days to pay" as I read in this thread and others--to hell with that. MY services are paid on MY terms as clearly stated in the contract,is fully explained to the customer at signing time. I'm not waiting 30 days for my money,I am not a utility company,a mortgage company or a landlord. I provided you with a service so you can open/run your business and expect to be paid in a timely fashion. If they don't like the terms-bye bye,find someone else.
  10. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

thats a funny one! if i pulled that crap i wouldnt have any work period. i extend my customers a line of credit, just like the utility companies. id like to see you say that to a vp of a bank.....:waving::waving: maybe thats why your plowing with a 2wd, and a 83 dodge?
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's about it. Do you think the person who opens the mails writes a check right away? It get submitted to the accounting dept first and most companies pay out invoices on the 1st and 15th . Then mail time from when you sent it and they mail it so 30 days is not that long. For me I don't mine because by the time the last lawn cutting money comes in the snow money then kicks in and just the opposite in the spring.
  12. The best thing I ever did was offer Interac (Debit Card) Email Money transfer. (It's a Canadian Thing, but I'm sure you have the same thing in the US)

They are affiliated with all the major Canadian banks and are set up on their electronic banking systems. I offer equal payments either by post dated cheques or Interac. I only have 3 customers who use cheques, The rest use Interac. All of my per push customers use Interac and I usually get paid within a couple of days It makes it convenient for the customers to pay, I'm a firm believer the easier you make it to pay, the faster you get paid.
    For seasonals they can set it up so it sends the money automatically on the 1st of the month.

I also offer a 7% Discount for full season prepay and about 5 customers take advantage of that.

Commercials are mostly 30 days
  13. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Have said it to more important people than a vp of a bank. FYI I do not plow with the 2wd smart ass-sand and snow blower transport only. As far as the 83 dodge-I'm sure it's in much better shape than 1/2 of your equipment.(see I can make assumptions to) Truck looks and runs better than new and best of all its paid off. You have no idea who I am,what my equipment looks like,the accounts that I service and how long I have been servicing them at the level of service that they get. Most of my commercial accounts are billed via e-mail and pay via credit card,debit card or money transfer. Next time you decide to open your mouth and knock some one elses equipment or operation you should think a little more about being to judgemental without knowing your facts first.Most people I know that do that are either young or stupid-just sayin'
  14. dchr

dchr Senior Member

I make sure the person that receives my bill is the one who writes the check. The commercial property's I do aren't really large enough to have one person opening the mail and another writing check's (mainly doctor's and dentist's offices). I don't need to receive the money on my terms to keep my operation going-it's just the way I do things and the way the customer wants it. Almost all my commercials are billed via e-mail and I get paid either by credit card,debit card or money transfer. I refuse to be someones bank,same with the remodeling/constrution business. You don't have the money to pay me when the job is done-find someone else to finance your project.
  15. Matt400

Matt400 Senior Member

Being a business owner since the 80's I have to agree with dchr, business is business. I'm not a plow contractor but pay one and the contracts to larger organizations with branch offices like government and banks are submitted in the fall in time for payment. Small business's get their contracts a little later and if money is tight then 1/2 up front and 1/2 after the first storm will keep the contractor coming back.

The good ole boy handshake is nice and all, just be careful out there is all I am saying. It's not like you can put the snow back if they don't pay and with companies closing left & right you could easily get stiffed. I know several building contractors and their subs that let stuff slide and its catching up to them in a bad way.
  16. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

I find it hard to believe you do any commercial work at all. We have plowed or salted 7 out of the last 9 days. You mean to tell me in the last 9 days you sent out 7 invoices and think the are going get 7 checks from each commercial account? Even if that was the cause thats way to many envelopes :rolleyes:This is just part of the business, well for the last 22yrs it has been for me, 30-45 days for a check.
  17. dchr

dchr Senior Member

First of all what the hell were you plowing 7 of the last 9 days? We haven't had a plowable event since last weekend? I salted everything. Secondly-nothing by mail my friend,almost all commercial is billed via e-mail and I am paid via credit card,debit card or electronic funds transfer. As stated in my contract terms they get a weekly summary of activity along with there invoice. As far as not believing I do commercial-believe what you want,it doesn't matter to me-I don't know you-but if you would like the address's and contact #'s I'll be glad to send them to you.If you want to wait 30-45 days for a check that's your business. I am not some 18 year old that just starting doing this,I have been running two business's successfully for 23 years. I do what works for me and my customers.

19. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I dont have time to bill after every event. carrying fuel, salt, labor for 30-60 days sometimes hurts but thats business!
  20. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I am still waiting for my first payment from my large account too. But what I really want to know is what the best beer in Ontario is?