1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Slow Movement when Cold Overnight

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by FordFisherman, Jan 23, 2011.

1. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

My 8' MM1 SEHP whines and barely moves the next morning when temps are below 10 degrees overnight. After about five minutes of trying to move it LR and up it starts to function normally again. I run the blue Fisher fluid and it was changed at the end of November. Anyone else have this issue?
  2. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

slow movement

When you changed the fluid did you clean or change your filter ?
  3. FordFisherman

from 06611

Cleaned it and the reservoir. This morning was -2, same issue. Messed with it for about 15 minutes and started to function normally but it was making noise intermittently on angling. Removed the fill plug to check fluid level and it took about 1/4 of a quart. Now it doesen't want to move again after adding fluid. Got me stumped.
  4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

When I get in my truck I always excersise the hyrdolics going back and forth and up and down a couple times. Just to get everything flowing. In these cold temps the fluid can get thick.
  5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like something in the valve body might be a bit obstructed. When the fluid is warm it may thin out enough to make it seem like its working properly but with the temps. in the single digits the fluid is thicker and not able to flow as well.......just my 2 cents. Thats one nice ting about the older hydro plows, they ran the hoses inside the engine compartment keeping them warm, at least warmer than the exposed units.
  6. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

I'm having the same problem. I started up my truck and let it run for about an hour just to charge it up because its so cold and i'd be better off hand cranking my plow up its so slow.
  7. FordFisherman

from 06611

Thanks for the input guys, turns out she's frozen up. Water got in the fluid somehow; I suspect at the motor gasket. Cleaned the filter, flushed and filled and its working fine. Fun job to do in balmy 7 degree weather...
  8. FordFisherman

from 06611

I'm going to seal around the motor with some clear silicone. I think the post storm washdowns have been getting water in the reservoir.