1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

slow move????

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mikelawtown, Dec 21, 2010.

1. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

So we only had about 2 inch if that and i had 1 cust call and want their drive done, i was like ummm ok. good thing they are 1/4 mile away. so i go out and my min mt 1 is moving in any direction really slow....maybe i can get some help..

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Would you happen to have a pressure gauge?

When was the fluid changed last.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

is your mm1 electric hydro ?

or is it live hydro pump on motor ?

this will help a lot to pin point the problem.

some mm1 can come ether way.

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

Good point.

In Laymen's terms, he means is it cable operated, or is it electric over hydraulic?

5. mikelawtown

from Mass

Elec, insta act pump. Fluid and filter cleaned/ changed 5 months ago. battery is new, conections all good and greased....

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

No gauge? Chance are the pump and or motor are getting weak. It wouldn't hurt to double check the reservoir for more gunk even though you've already changed the fluid....it happens.

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Mines the same way, almost painfully slow. I'm thinking its the motor as it kinda sound like it struggles at times. Its sad when my SEHP was faster. After this next "storm" I'll be replacing the motor, if that doesn't work then it'll be the pump, if that doesn't work it'll be the plow.

8. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

same with mine and it is too slow

9. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Not sure if this will help, but I took my battery connections apart and cleaned them in addition to the plow connections and it made a big difference.

10. sweetk30

what kind of fluid are you guys runnin ?

if i recall atf is not to be used in these as the cold sludges up the wax and other things in atf. i think thay said it plugs the screens and then when you pull it off and take in warm shop to clean and reman it it warms up and you dont find the sludged up atf.

you need a specific plow pump fluid. that is made to flow like water at colder temps.

the old belt drive pump under the hot hood fishers used atf as the fluid stayed hot from engine heat.

just a few ideas to try guys.

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm using blue plow fluid

12. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

I've seen a good build up of silty, dust like crap inside the electric motors on few occasions when replacing bad motors, I believe it's this crap that eventually caused these motors to fail, you can take the motor off and check for this condition very easily by taking the two retaining bolts off the top of the motor (insta-act), you will most likely have to reset the brushes around the armature of the motor when you re install because that armature always wants to slide out, not saying this is the cause of the slow movement but, if your filter is clean and pump and fluid are good this could be worth looking at.

13. mikelawtown

from Mass

I had this system cleaned 5-6 months ago. So before i hear **** from you guys today i pulled the drain plug and a drop came out.:rolleyes:...I havent checked it because i thought the place (big company) that serviced it took care of that.. I didnt see a leak anywhere nor was there any fluid on the ground where i store it...So it took just about a full qt....And works alot better. I also went to NAPA today to get a qt and the wanted 11.00 per qt...Is that crazy..Donovan In NH has it for 7.20......Anyway an easy fix , i just figured it was full since i just had it done and didnt ever see any leaks....Thanks guys

14. sweetk30

seen lots of service people in a hurry forget simple stuff like that.

did you replace any hoses or have a leaky ram ? that would suck the system down upon first use ?

glad you figured it out tho. Thumbs Up

15. mikelawtown

from Mass

No, nothing was toughed. when i added fluid i cycled plow left/right/up and down a bunch of times then i opened fill plug and it did have some pressure as a little squirted out, maybe i should have waited a few before checking. also where or is there a relief valve to check, can it be tightened to move things quicker? someone told me it may be screwed out too much.Thanks