1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

slow MM1

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by fisher36, Dec 18, 2009.

1. fisher36

fisher36 Junior Member

My plow angles and raises slowly. Sometimes the lights dim on the plow. It seems that therere is not enough power for the plow.

what could be the reason for the loss of the power in the truck. The truck is a 1998 dodge ram 2500
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Check your voltage at the pump while you lift the blade. Be careful!
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

And amp draw at the pump! how old is the unit and is it stored outside? Very possible it has a good amount of corrosion on the inside of it and/or you have a bad connection somewhere in the system. If you continue to use the system as is you WILL be seeing the need for a new alternator in the near future....not very safe either, the outcome could be fire (not to freak you out or anything!).
  4. Geoff426

Geoff426 Junior Member

Sorry to interupt

Good amount of corrosion where, pump, motor, ?. Im just trying to get all the little bits of info I can. Thanks.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Are you asking me? i was just speculating that there could be corrosion inside of the motor causing a large amount of resistenace and increased current draw slowing down the whole system.
  6. Geoff426

Geoff426 Junior Member

Yes, sorry to interupt, thank you. When I hooked mine up after sitting for a while its drawing more than normal. Thanks. You scared me a little with the possible outcome of fire.
  7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I think what the boys are telling you is, your pump motor is most likely due to be replaced. It sounds like it is taking a good amount of force to operate, to the point that it's not even functioning properly anymore.

When was the last time you did any maintenance to it? When was the hydraulic oil changed last? Might be a good idea to go ahead and give it an overall inspection and internal cleaning, while your there be sure to replace the pickup filter, gasket and hydraulic fluid at the same time. Remove and check the pump itself, and make sure its spinning freely. If the problem persists, it's time for a new motor, in fact if I were you I would just replace it now if hasn't been replaced before, it's most likely your culprit to begin with.