1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Slow Meyer E-47

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by szorno, Feb 6, 2003.

1. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Hey Guys,
    Has anyone had a patterned problem with Meyer E-47 being very slow to lift and angle? I have a 3 yr old unit that was taking 10 seconds to raise. I replaced it with a "freshly" rebuilt complete E47. Only improved to 7 seconds. My Western's are all 3-4 seconds. Angling is similar.
    Could not find any adjustments but have misplaced my E47 shop manual.
    Ideas??? Thanks.

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

That sounds about right Scott. That is why Meyer came out with the E-60. The E-47 is just plain slow. What you might be able to do to speed up the lift a little is make sure the lift ram is mounted in the rear hole of the lift arm. I have seen many that have it mounted in the front hole. The front hole is for an engine mounted hydraulic pump, with just a lift cylinder up front. Your plow will raise higher too with the ram mounted in the rear hole.

You can see what I mean in this pic:

[​IMG]

(Edit: Well the pic loaded fine when I first posted, but now half of it seems to be cut off, so here is the link right to the pic.

http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/images/pumpfill.jpg )

~Chuck

Last edited: Feb 6, 2003
  3. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I've had E47s in the past, and they were about 4 seconds to lift fully. One went slow for a while, but it was a porr alternator on the truck, so batteries were not fully charged. You might want to have it bench tested to see if the motor is working good, and it is producing the right pressure.

4. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

My E-47 raises slow too. Part of it is the alt. and battery on the truck. If I run the truck through the battery charger, it plow raises faster. As many members here have pointed out, the E-47 sucks a lot of juice..more than the E-60. I plan on purchasing the E-57 upgrade kit for my E-47 next year (unless I buy a BOSS). That is supposed to speed it up, and cut down on the draw. :)

Oh..and Chuck...that's a good idea to move the bolt to the rear hole, but if it's a battery problem..it's only going to make it worse. Moving it to the rear hole will take away most of the leverage that it has, and make the motor work harder and draw more juice. ;)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2003
  5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Well, if it is a battery problem, then that should be corrected first.

Secondly, when plowing, it is best NOT to raise the plow ALL the way between pushes. Raising is 6" or so is usually enough, and will save a lot on the electrical draw. Having the ram in the rear hole will cause the blade to raise faster to that 6" point. Also, it is best to save juice by lifting and angling the blade while you are reversing (or moving into positon) for your next push. That way the RPM's are up a little to help compensate for the draw.

My E-47 I ran new battery cables, and put in a 1100CCA battery, and it still dimmed the lights. I wanted to replace the alternator, since I had no idea of the output. My buddy who did most work for free on my truck told me not to worry about it. After one season, I got fed up, and decided to replace the alternator myself. Perish the thought, but I put in a 74 Amp alternator, and the lights didn't dim nearly as much anymore. The blower motor didn't stop anymore either. Volt gauge read 13 before the new alternator, and after, it read 14, just like my 77 Chevy. I always wanted to replace the alternator because it read 13 volts from the day I bought it, and my 77 always read 14.

According to the Meyer installation instructions, on E-47 and E-60 units, the ram gets mounted in the rear hole.

~Chuck

6. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

It all depends on what kind of alt. you have too. Some charge different depending on the state of the engine. But I def. agree with not raising the plow all the way between pushes. The best alt. for a plow truck would be a 160 amp alt. My cousin has one on his 2500 Silverado..and he runs a 7 ft. BOSS V-plow. The lights never even flicker. Of course he has problems with spinning his tires..but that's a weight issue...both in the weight of his foot... and the lack of weight in the ass end of his truck

Last edited: Feb 7, 2003
  7. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Hey thanks for the info. I have the ram in the rear mount hole. I have a 100 amp alternator with a good battery. The motor on the 2nd E47 was new when the pump was rebuilt. So... I gues I am sucking pond water. What about the conversion/ upgrade kit mentioned. What does that do for me?
    :confused:

8. long0

long0 Senior Member

Scott,
    The conversion kit that was mentioned converts the old E-47 to the new E-57. It is meyer part no. 15869 - I got mine from Frontier Truck in Commerce City - I cost me about $320 plus shipping.

The conversion kit changes the pump assembly to accept the larger size motor that the E-60 has on it, but since the motor is mounted vertically, it does not allow water to collect in the motor like the horizontally mounted motor on the E-60 does. The larger motor will reduce drop in voltage and you will notice a considerable difference in the speed of the pump.

Andy

Last edited: Feb 7, 2003
  9. szorno

szorno Senior Member

YeeHaa !! That may be the answer. Jim at Mother Truckers in Denver does not have a used E-60 so I thought I was going to have to buy a new one at $grand or better. I will call frontier or layton right away. Thanks !:waving:

10. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

well my e-47 takes 3-4 seconds to lift a c-8 and it takes 5-6 seconds to angle from full right to full left I have the 2" cylinders

I have dual alternators, 1 goes to the battery and is regulated using the stock regulator, the other is wired to the plow pump solenoid along with a + from the battery, when the solenoid receives power a wire sends 12vdc to the terminal on the second alternator to bring the alternator to "full excite" mode so the alternator puts out the full 120 amps directly to the input on the solenoid, when I release the switch for lift or angle the alternator and solenoid no longer receive the 12 vdc and the second alternator goes back to float mode. I run a 1000 cca battery and the single alternator setup was a pain having to stop every 10-20 minutes and let it idle for a few.

defiantly check your charging system

~Nate~

12wireingharness.jpg