1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Slow" Fisher SD Speedcaster

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Tomas090, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Tomas090

Tomas090 Member
    from Maine

Plow works great on angle but when lifting blade it takes about 3-5 seconds before piston starts lifting, seems to go up at normal speed

If you have blade off, it takes three people to get piston down?

We adjusted valve several time swith no change, can these things get air bound or something?

Plow was just installed after sitting for several years
  2. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

you try reving the engine while raising?

also if you lower the piston all the way with one guy on the control and another pushing down it should be fine... then disconnect
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Air bound... Yes Take the piston off hold it upside down and cycle it a couple of times
  4. Tomas090

Tomas090 Member
    from Maine

Will give a try, but how in hel* do you get damm thing to retract without weight of blade? We can barely get piston back down with two large guys standing on triangle lift plate as it is?
  5. Tomas090

Tomas090 Member
    from Maine

Speedcaster is not speedy

Tried the turning upside down and cycling, about 15 times and no change

Any other ideas?

Do these thinsg get "Air bound" and if so, is there a sequence for bleeding?

6. Tomas090

Tomas090 Member
    from Maine

Fisher still hesitant and doesn't lower correctly

Any further thoughts on this before snow hits this week end?
  7. Tomas090

Tomas090 Member
    from Maine

Help! Fisher slow and groaning

First big storm (14") and this plow is driving me nuts

Not only is it slower than death, but as you use it more and it gets "hotter" it gets slower.

It also has developed a pronounced "groan" when angling left and goes even slower than its normal slow no matter how you rev engine When you angle left it sounds almost like metal being bent

Fluid is full but looks a bit "foamy" and when I tried to take filler cap off with pump running there was too much pressure to remove cap by hand

Control stick seems very sloppy, maybe just break in (Was a new joystick and cables)

Any thoughts would be most appreciated, I didn't get to finish my own driveway and am buried
  8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Sounds like you have air in the system- foamy fluid and groaning pump are typical symptoms- have you checked the res fluid level?
    There is no reason more than one person is needed to force the piston back down-unless the valve is not opening correctly. My old speedcast just took me setting in to float and leaning on the lift arm. The valves could be incorrectly set keeping light up pressure on the cylinder. I would check the valves, maybe disconnect the cable and check the valve position. It's common for them to start leaking internally too- mine (the most common) leaks down which is caused by use, age, and not using the carry chain.
  9. daninline

daninline Senior Member

Did you check the packing nut on the lift cylnder if it's to tight it will make the system work hard going up and very hard to go down. Sound like a pump or the valve body is shot.

You can check the pump pressure to see if it's ok.