1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Slow falling scoop

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by mzgloves20, Jan 1, 2012.

1. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

Any ideas on what may cause my Hiniker scoop to fall to the ground so slow that I can get out and watch it settle to the ground after hitting down or float?

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have no idea but thought I would comment. It is obviously not right. I am sure it is someting silly/easy.

3. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

I hope so...checked all the wires, fluids, and plugs...every other direction is fine

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Could be a week coil or a sticky/plugged valve, the down/float coil and valve is the one in the middle bottom

5. NBI Lawn

When it is dropping do your headlights dim or does it have a draw? Dumb question, just curious though.

6. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

Ill check into that...thx...i did notice a lil masking tape under the dust seal on the cylinder. must have been from when the guys touched up the paint. Do you think that would cause a bind? The plow has to weigh 500lbs, I cant imagine that would be it...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  7. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

Um, don't remeber a dimming in float mode. Generally the plow does put a strain on the elec system of this truck though.

8. NBI Lawn

It should have and draw when you hit float.

EDIT.. "it shouldN'T have ANY draw when you hit float".

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  9. NICHOLS LANDSCA

I would think if you tried to shove enough masking tape past the seal to slow it down the seal would be junk

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

You been drinking? Making up for last night? Edit It shouldn't have a draw in float

11. NBI Lawn

Yes :drinkup:

12. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

No dimming in float. No leaking around seal. Just ultra slow...guess I'll be trying to check the coil/valve once these pia lake snow showers go away...lol...

13. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Did you get this problem fixed ... what was the cause?

14. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Never had a Hiniker Plow but here my thought....does it have down pressure or not?

We had a similar issue on our older boss plow (no down pressure) just a float setting. and there is a small valve you turn inside the pump housing to regulate how fast the plow "drops".

Not sure if this helps, but hopefully you found the issue.

15. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

Well, so far, I changed what I could. I put a new coil on the down valve. No change. The valve is coming out 2moro to be cleaned. Ill replace that as the last step.

The plow only has a float mode with no downward hydraulic pressure. It was a very fast dropper for the last 3 seasons, so it must be time to replace something...lol...

16. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I recall reading in the manual that you can loosen the packing nut on the lift cylinder up to 1 1/2 turns to reduce friction if their dismount procedure doesn't work. However, I tried loosening my packing nut once and it just crumbled. Maybe your lift cylinder needs replaced. A new cylinder for my straight was around $125 or so a few years ago.

If you loosen or disconnect the lines to the lift cylinder when on the ground I would think you should be able to manually compress the cylinder. If you can't I would say your cylinder is the culprit.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  17. NICHOLS LANDSCA

Not that it has anything to do with your problem but just an FYI, when a Hiniker is in float it keeps the coil energized and can get hot. Just bump it out of float if you are going to be out of the truck for any extended period of time

18. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

Just an update. The masking tape got dissolved by the fluid and clogged the strainer completely. Fluid change and it was all better.