1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Slow down!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Greenmtboy, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Yup, plowing the grocery store we have a contract with today and the co manager comes out and tells me to slow down, I'm going to fast and going to run over someone especially when I'm backing up. I plow with a Cat 262C 2 spd that is in my avatar, so its not like I was going 15-20 mph. I bit my tongue, then said ok. I felt like telling him to go back inside and mop the floors and empty the garbage :mad:. This was after having words with an a$$hole who parked in front of the store in a no parking zone and in my way waiting for his lazy ass women to get a ******* redbox movie. He felt he had every right to park right in the way :realmad:. People are always parking in the no parking zone, we have become so lazy!

Anyone else dealing with this bs as well? I'm sure there is, how are you guys dealing with situations like this?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  2. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

get used to it!

3. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

All the time. I plow several banks, post offices, dunkin donuts, etc that the general public use and some people are so inconsiderate to the plow guy. It's a fact of life if you're going to plow snow.

4. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

Get a train horn or airhorn/siren. Does the trick for me.
    Always good to get a jump when the plow drops like a rock. I'll be as tolerant as possible but there are some times I just can't help it..

5. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Yeah I know. I've been plowing this place for over five years and it seems that people are more inconsiderate now then ever.

I hear yeah, I try to be tolerant as well but they're are times when I would like to send them into the snowbank.

6. Greenstar lawn

Greenstar lawn Senior Member

Give em a glaicer facial :)

7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I learned a long time ago that I could either keep allowing others to **** me off, or I could rise above it by anticipating ahead of time what they will more than likely do & counter it by being just a little more irritating than they are. Example: One of my lots has 4 entrances & exits. Because I don't push snow towards the street...I have to back out into the roadway & push it inward. What most people like to do (and this is why I don't like strobe lights)...They are like rats on a dead carcass...they bypass their other 3 options & pull up on me while I'm half way out in the road...about that time a car usually pulls in from behind & wants to pull in...What do I do? I reach for my pack of smokes, pack them a little so they can see me do it, start fumbling around looking for my lighter...feel around my pockets w/ the smoke hanging from my mouth (sometimes I act like I dropped it & reach for the floor)...within about 10 seconds they flip me the bird, spin their tires & shoot off to the other exit. I then drop my blade w/o having to adjust & continue onward w/ a smile on my face. Works like a charm.

I've got a better one for those who park illegally in the fire lanes & handicap spots.

8. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Maaaan, something like this just happened to me and I was about to start my own thread but this is right in line.

I picked up a McDonalds, they told me to always be sure that I have the lot cleaned by 4:30am because thats when employees show up. So I get there at 3:45, start plowing, get almost all of lot done except for one area and the STUPID ******* MANAGER pulls in the lot and parks in the only freakin area that I havent plowed!!!!!!! She showed up at 4:10 so it wasnt like I was late getting the job done. Honestly I was beside myself and absolutely in aww that anyone could be this damn stupid..... So anyways i did what I could but even with backdragging the spots around her vehicle it still looked like crap.

Im a rookie still and learning some things the hard way, and the biggest thing im learning is just how damn stupid ppl can be..........

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  9. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Continue...:popcorn:

10. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Agreed. Please, do tell :)

11. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Agreed. I plowed a Kwik Trip this last storm. Wow. People are idiots. Who cares about that truck with the blade on it, he's only 5 times my size but whatever lets cut him off or park in the ONE place that ISN'T plowed.

Jack***'s

12. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

X 3 /\ /\ :popcorn:

13. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

For me, my comfort zone is mostly apartments & hotels...so everyone's situation may be different. I have a repore w/ the cops who patrol my lots, which has paid off in ways that you might not expect.

This just happened on New Years Eve, but happens often...Friday & Saturday nights are when the less desirable come out of the city and hit up some of the higher end hotels rooms & clubs. I say less desirable, because they party all over the lots, leaving their 40 Oz'ers & trash all over the place. They hang out in the lots, sometimes mess w/ me...and park anywhere they feel like. They will leave their cars running under the canopy/ valet parking, sometimes for hours on end...can't get through to plow or salt. They also park in the fire lane and handicap spaces around back, because they think nobody will notice, since those spaces are only painted on the pavement (no standing signs)...also blocking the buildings emergency exits...also painted on the pavement.

After everything is cleaned up, I go back and clean as well as I can to expose as much paint as possible & then salt extra heavy around these cars (management loves this) A short while later they all stand out like a sore thumb. These same unique individuals like to stay 3-5 hrs after check out time...they'd take the tv's if they weren't bolted down. After they leave Sunday afternoon w/ their hangovers...they find a pink thank you card on their windshield.

Forgot to mention...that thank you card comes w/ a $500 price tag.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  14. RSE

RSE Member

Nobody likes the plow guy. I have a commercial property with 43 tenants, three loading docks and 24hr constant stream of traffic coming in and going out. As the driveway is only one lane and a hill, people come flying out of nowhere to get up and expect me to move out their way. I am so casual as I pretend to answer my phone or dig through my cooler for a snack. If I could film the dumbest moves I've seen I could send them into Americas Funniest Vids and win $10,000. For example, I plow around a car that sits overnite. There are now 300 clean spots to move to. The person comes outside, starts the car as I sit idleing, staring them down, moves out of the spot but seems to forget something and cuts me off plowing that spot as they park in the dirty spot again! Then they never came back outside!

15. WilliamOak

I was in a buddy's truck a couple years ago plowing a strip mall with a dunkin at the far end. Well I was running the curb, had a full blade of snow plus the 16' ebling overflowing with snow. Some dumb c*nt comes barreling by in her jeep and parks at the very last spot which is one of few places to stack snow (and of course the closest spot to the door). I honk wave flash lights etc and she got out flipped me off and went inside. Needless to say she got a pile of snow next to her door about as high as the windows and I left a huge pile behind her with the back blade and went around to finish the back side of the lot. None of the snow was really touching the car btw. Came back around front 15min later to watch her rock back and forth for about 20min trying to get out. As she drove past i smiled/ waved and got the Second Dirtiest look I've ever gotten from a woman.

16. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

You say that like it's something new!

People have always been lazy jerks.

Why is the best spot in the whole place reserved for a pile of snow? Shouldn't snow be piled in the worst spot? Besides usage of the spot there's also melt-runoff-refreeze to consider. In that spot, everybody will have to walk over the melt runoff as they walk past it. You probably have a great reason, I'm just curious.

17. redneckwoodsman

redneckwoodsman Junior Member

I was plowing a bank parking lot before opening and some woman in an apartment started sceaming to get the h... out and stop making so much noise. I ccalled the boss about it and he came by with the nice quiet salt spreader and helped with the lot.:):)

18. WilliamOak

It's a 1/2 developed site with a weird layout. Plenty of space to push up and beyond the curb.

19. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

This is great. I would have stacked it high enough she couldn't come close to getting out. Make her late for whatever it is she's out doing. Then tell her while she stands there that you'll open it up for a price. If she says anything remotely nasty I'd start driving off. That or my Terese would kick in and I'd probably start screaming at her.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  20. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Better idea:
    [​IMG]