1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SLOW 810 . Jiust a few questions

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by bretthouchen04, Dec 13, 2011.

1. bretthouchen04

bretthouchen04 Junior Member

Ok so I know that these 810s are extremely heavy but I feel like its to slow.

So I found a thread on here that said to add and additional power and ground cable straight to the motor, to the solenoid that engages the plow and the ground directly to the battery . Using an Anderson connector and 2ga wire.

So basically is this a good idea and has it helped?? If not what are come good things to do and to look for. The fluid is full and seems to look good .

Thanks I appreciate it guys !

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

If you really want to speed it up, change the pump to an 8611 . I did this to mine and it really speeds it up.Costs a few hundred dollars, but its worth it.

3. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

The problem is they try to ground themselves between the pump and motor. The local motor shop told me it was not a good idea to weld on the motor. I would like to hear others experience on it and where they welded a stud on the motor and where they grounded it.

4. bretthouchen04

I called a blizzard dealer here in olathe ks and they said that the 8611 pump is the same exact pump??

So there is no place for the ground wire on the motor to ground to? but there is a hot side? im confused

5. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Several things to address:

1. Plow fluid. If you don't know when it's been done, change it. Moisture and oil don't make for happy pumps. Take the reservoir off while your at it and clean the filters.

2. The anderson connector works nicely.
    Truckside:Red wire to solenoid hot, black to bat ground.
    Plowside: Red wire to stud on motor where plow harness red wire is. Black wire to a good ground. Blizzard has done it a bunch of different ways, including: bolt to Aframe, not good; to manifold, not so good either; to pump end head, better. Best would be a 2 stud motor, IMO. The issue is that when grounded elsewhere, like the end head for instance, if resistance due to corrosion builds up between the motor and end head, electricity will find the path of least resistance, and ground through the coupling from pump to motor, which can cause damage to both. If you keep things clean and tight, with a coat of fluid film between the endhead and motor, I don't think you will have a problem grounding to the endhead. Now if you want, you can drill and tap a hole in the motor casing to ground to, just be careful where you drill, and length of bolt you use. If you are careful, welding a bolt to the motor casing can be done without issue as well, IMO

3: Pumps: You can go with a higher flow pump like off an 8611, depending on what year your plow is. Post a pic of the back of your plow and of the pump/motor combo with the black cover off, and we can give you some additional direction.

4: Depending on your year, there may be some upgrades and/or adjustments in the areas of hoses and flowcontrol setting.

I have had large gains in speed doing these upgrades, and routinely do this to nearly all my plows, as I get the chance.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  6. bretthouchen04

OK thanks Johnny, Im going to try the wiring this weekend. I will also try to get you a picture of the back of the plow the next time im around it. Its back home about 30 miles away and im at college. I have a picture of the plow but not with the cover off of it .

Again, is the dealer just ******** or is the 8611 pump different? he told me "honestly man they are the exact same pump" in his own words.

Thanks again for the help.

7. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

To answer your question, no, not all 810 and 8611 pumps are the same. But to correctly determine your application, more information is needed, hence the request for pictures. Over the years blizzard utilized different vendors for hyraulic compenents, thus need to know what you currently have in order to give you the best information.

8. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Subscribed... running into the same thing.

9. bretthouchen04

Alright ill get some pictures with the cover off of it but this is what I have from putting the plow on . I know it probably might not help right now . Also just trying to figure out what year it is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

My book says the 810 pump is a 2.47 cc output and the 8611 is a 6.14 cc. The motors are the same output. But there are 2 different spline types, so you need to know what you have before buying just the pump.

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Fast,,your saying ad an addition pwr and gnd to the plow correct?? pos. for solenoid to plow and then truck gnd to plow gnd correct?? so its double pwr and gnd?? but pwr for the solenoid.

12. bretthouchen04

Im not positive but yes I think thats what hes saying. Add a power cable from the (starter) solenoid to the post on the motor. That way it only sends power to the motor when your engaging it in the truck. Then weld like a bolt or stud to the motor in a good postion, to hook up a ground cable to the negative side of your battery.

Correct me if im wrong somebody. This is just what i got out of it. Thanks

13. bretthouchen04

Here is a picture of what i think yall were asking for. Sorry if its blurry, its friggin cold out with shorts on ...

[​IMG]

14. dieselss

Yea I think that's it. Just not totally sure I understand the reasoning behind it?

15. bretthouchen04

Because what the thread said that I read this originally, it will help the motor out with ground and the amount of power it needs because of the lack of power running through the pins in the wiring harness and available ground for the motor.

So giving it an alternative ground and power it will help increase speed.

Again this is what i took from the thread that I read before creating this thread. Correct me if im wrong.

On a side note i am sure that the filter has never been cleaned for the pump. The ends for my battery terminals are crimped together and not soldered. ( this is how i got it ) They are also older cables.

So along with the alternative power and ground, a good douching for the pump filter and some new fluid. Im hoping tomorrow night it will be performing a lot better.

16. dieselss

The gnd I can understand but the pwr, I'd have to try that myself and see. Your only going to get what the solenoid can put out. Imo I would have to try it to believe it. I just don't see how a good connector will loose that much amps.

17. dieselss

I'm not yelling or bit***ng at you berry just confused?

18. bretthouchen04

Yeah im in the same way man. But with as slow as this things is im willing to try it. I know i could go buy the bigger pump and motor but right now i have the stuff for this so its worth a shot.

Hell i might be wrong about the whole thing.

Also I know that the solenoid is rated to 12v and thats what the truck will put out but why would they make a heavier duty one that 24v ? is there for some reason the solenoid would not be able to put out enough for the plow? its just a regular old ford starter solenoid

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  19. dieselss

Hell is try it to lol. If you do end up needing a motor do some research. They are really common motors for a lot of other hydraulics.

20. bretthouchen04

Will do bud, thanks!